> The router is a SonicWall TZ190W the access points are EnGenius
> ECB-3220. THe access points are both located  on the second floor
> which only has studios around the perimeter of the building so it is
> mostly open over the first floor in the center. There is a very large
> open staircase in the middle of the building  up to  the third floor
> studios. But I don't think that is the problem. My studio is on an
> outside wall on the third floor and if my connection is not frozen (or
> hung) it can be fine for hours.

Does it make any difference if there are more people on the network?  In
other words, does it work better when fewer people are in the building?
Also, why this brand of AP?  I haven't hear of EnGenius before.  Does
SonicWall have certain APs that are certified to work with it and is this
one of them?  I see on the EnGenius website that this AP is PoE capable.
Are you networking off of the electrical system?

You also might want to make sure that someone doesn't have their own rogue
wireless router on the network, handing out its own IP addresses.

Is this network open and unencrypted?  You could have outside freeloaders
tying up bandwidth.

How did the people there connect before?  Is it possible to can this network
temporarily for testing and have them go back the old network?  I would
start with one AP attached directly to the router and go out from there,
testing for sustained connectivity all the way out to the furthest spots.
Then start bring people on incrementally until (or if) it fails again.