At 09:23 AM 7/16/2009, t.piwowar wrote:
>Why don't you stop using checks?

Because I need permanent paper records of investments.  Computer data is just
too volatile / fragile.  Computer records are just backup, in case the paper
records are destroyed.  That's not impossible, but low risk.

How does one download records of payment of stuff that is electronic bill pay?
Does one have to download them one at a time by a manual (mouse click) request,
or can one batch download them?  The person doing the downloading and record
keeping is a different person at a different location than the person making
the payment.

Most businesses I know still use checks to pay me.  Unless it is something
regular, like payroll, they are unwilling to set up an ACH transfer.

The specific reason I'm asking is for a charitable organization that makes
various "family emergency" payments on behalf of individuals to landlords,
utilities, etc.  Will landlords/utilities accept electronic payments when each
payment is to a different account [number], or will a laborious setup process
be required for each new payment?  And if the "checkwriter" makes these
payments from her home computer, what sort of process does the organization
treasurer use to download the transactions, including the payee, and determine
that the payment was made validly and not by a hacker?  Seeing familiar
handwriting and signature on a check image is pretty sure identification. (One
doesn't hear much of forged checks these days).  And when the landlord or
utility (who are paid directly) say that they "never got the payment," but in
reality they received it but misapplied it, is the evidence readily available
that the payment actually was made and the payor properly identified the e!
 ntity being paid.  An image of a cancelled check with an account number on it
is pretty good proof.

The numbers on the individual checks are useful to flag potential erroneous
payments.  How does one assign a "check number" to an electronic payment?

We continually lose value in processes that are computerized.  Yes, they are
cheaper, but cheaper is not always better.

The electronic payments generally are not completely documented on a bank
statement (even the online ones).  They only list the payee:  Washington Gas.
They don't list the explicit account number being paid.  If there is an issue,
much time-consuming research is required.

And then, of course, there is all the information that is needed to be
preserved for the annual audit, and for any forensic audit if someone should
allege misappropriation of funds.  Grantmakers, especially government entities,
often want detailed reports showing how their money was spent.

Is there any opportunity to run through a complete tutorial of electronic bill
paying without signing up for it first?  The tutorial should include all of the
records produced by the process of paying a bill, and how to save / store them
efficiently.  And no, I don't want to authorize automatic payment; there are
just too many opportunities for disastrous mistakes.

>Software Glitch Leads To $23,148,855,308,184,500 Visa Charges
>    from the what's-the-grace-period-again dept.
>    posted by timothy on Wednesday July 15, @17:06 (Bug)
>    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/07/15/2050215

Fred Holmes