The list of converters/translators appears as soon as you try to open a file that's not native. Word does the same thing except the converter list is sorted alphabetically. The OpenOffice list is so long, and the names aren't exactly what you'd expect for the file types. I looked for Word 2008, but the converter is called XML something--not intuitive if you don't already use Word 08.

There must be a way to make the list alphabetical, yes? Or maybe I could remove some of the converter files that I don't expect to ever use.

FWIW, Word doesn't open OO documents, and doesn't have translators, naturally. I don't do clouds--they obfuscate. I do use the Internet.

Is it even necessary to pick a type? When opening an existing
document, just open it, ignoring the file types entirely. The file
extension is supposed to tell the app what it is you're opening.  I
dunno, as these days I either use Office or a cloud solution (Zoho,
Google Docs).