Another view on HP scanners:

I have a dr's office that has scanned over 56,000 patient records/files into .PDF's and their HP scanners, while not the cheap ones, have worked very well and produced quality scans. It has saved them considerable floor space for file cabinets.

Another law office scans their old client files into .pdf's and the HP scanner has worked fine for a long time.

But: they both have a dedicated workstation that does the scanning and the output goes to a network drive.

I have had zero problems with them..
YMMV
Rich