On Aug 8, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Fred Holmes wrote:
What is your opinion of Fujitsu scanners? They are not twain compliant and thus do not produce .gif, .tiff, etc. but they do produce .pdf and also, selectably, .jpg files. I find my Fujitsu to be particularly good at making readable copy of "faint" documents. The sheet feeder often skews the document a bit, but bundled Adobe Acrobat fixes that. There would probably be less skew if the sheet feeder fed the document sideways. The sheet feeder will take a stack of maybe 20 sheets and feed them through very quickly. One has to use a carrier sheet for wrinkled pages or for other documents that don't feed correctly un-sheathed.

I have no experience with Fujitsu scanners. From what you write it looks like they are more oriented to OCR. I focus on graphic arts scanners. If a scanner's software can not produce a proper TIFF it is of no use to me.

Any scanner that has good software should be adjustable to handle faint documents, but most people do not know how to adjust their scanners. Ten years ago it has hard to find scanners with good D (min), but these days even cheap scanners have decent dynamic range. Back then many manufacturers did not give dynamic range specs because they did not want you to know. As things got better they started publishing the specs. Today they don't because it is not much of an issue.