Unlimited data for $30/mo., tethering to your PC or Mac. Is this a
deal?

I'm not getting it. The N3555 is a very uninteresting phone. Is the
idea that I have to carry a laptop with me all the time to get the
benefits of the data connection. Can I tether it to a smart phone
that will make use of the data? Why can't I just put the SIMM into a
smart phone?

You don't have to use that phone to get that rate, and you don't have to tether, but the phone needs to be unlocked GSM. You can use the phone, and/or your notebook, for data. The point isn't that particular phone. It's that many 3G GSM phones can be used for a data plan that costs much less than most other plans per month. I'm not touting that phone or the provider. Any provider with that rate will be fine.

You can put a SIM into a smart phone for tethering, but how much do you pay monthly for unlimited data? This is $1 a day only on days you use it; voice and SMS charges on the same phone can also be PAYGO. Do USB 3G dongles and PC cards for notebooks have better data rate charges?