...(Yes, I have gone to the "tools" menu and made all the changes, but
they have been ignored - it is as if the ability to change the
various options have all been locked out.) I am afraid that my only
choice may be to uninstall Firefox and start all over from scratch,
but I don't want to loose my bookmarks.

Find your Firefox profile. Save the bookmarks.html file. For passwords, save key3.db and signons.sqlite. Save the entire profile by moving it to a different location. The other settings may be broken. You can create a new profile. See:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile?style_mode=inproduct&s=new+profile

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles?style_mode=inproduct

It might work better for you to create a new profile first to see how well that works, then copy the bookmarks and passwords and other settings back into the new profile later. You can open the original bookmarks file as a web page no matter where it's stored on your drive until FF is behaving properly.

One of the reasons I like Mozilla's browsers is that they're so easy to revise and troubleshoot.

Betty