Good point. Mail issues are often not your host's fault at all.
Rather, some overactive spam filter somewhere. We've been banned from
AOL longer than we've been allowed.

First I try to select a host near my client base. No point in starting
out with a 250ms ping to the server. Next I would log into their
support forum and check the types of problems being discussed. See if
staff is readily available or are trying to hide. Are they updating
things regularly?