Yet again. If this were MS pulling this stunt, they would certainly be
pilloried. And probably sued by the EU. Where's the outrage here?

I'm outraged that some Windows programs update without informing users! And our HP notebook came with dozens of undocumented programs installed, not even a list of software in a ReadMe file.

Apple doesn't do that. Any program that's listed in Apple Software Update is a *suggestion* which you can install or ignore. I usually install 1/2 of their suggestions and delete the rest. Third parties also recommend software that I might want to install too--or not.

Must be a really slow day at Ars Technica to bother with such a nonissue. The editor who came up with the headline should be slapped with a handful of wet spaghetti.