On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:22 AM, tjpa <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 10:55 PM, mike wrote:
>
>> What is a real gps? I am assuming you mean the iPhone doesn't have one?
>>

> The iPod uses triangulation based on cell phone towers with known
> locations. I think this depends on getting a signal from at least 3 towers.
> This is better in urban areas where cell towers are plentiful and line of
> site to satellites is too often blocked. Advice to backwoods droids is to
> simply move.

This might be a change on the newer models but Apple now uses the GPS
satellites.

According to Apple the iPhone 3GS uses Sattelites, Cell Towers and Wi-Fi
locations to give location information for the GPS.
<http://www.apple.com/lae/iphone/features/gps.html>

A known fixed point in addition to the satellites can give better
information than the Satellites alone..
--
John Duncan Yoyo