Hi;
I live on a boat. Salt air is notorious for killing electronics. I'm
building a new computer. I'm adding a water cooling system so I can
eliminate fans (not for speed). Now I'm wondering if I can seal the box up
so no air enters. Ideas? Anybody tried this?
TIA,
Victor

Since both Panasonic and General Dynamics Itronix have excellent rugged computers, why not use the Toughbook or GoBook instead of reinventing? These rugged computers are designed to withstand "temperature extremes, humidity, vibration, dust, drops and spills." They're not cheap, but you get a computer designed for extreme conditions, including snow, and that works well.

Put your money toward one of these:

- http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:GD8000
- http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:MR-1
- http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:GD6000
    General Dynamics Itronix "Rain Chamber":
      http://www.gd-itronix.com/upload/videos/ruggedPage/rainChamber.wmv

- http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-19.asp - http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-30.asp - http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/ultra-mobile-rugged-toughbook-u1-UMPC.asp

Do you REALLY want a desktop computer on a BOAT, even if it's a houseboat? I have friends on houseboats around here [Chesapeake Bay and C&D Canal] and my friends have Macbook Pros, not even rugged notebooks. The GoBook MR-1 fits my requirements. It fits in a cargo pocket, and has a usable keyboard, WiFi, card slot, etc. Buy a solar PV charger for backup and an extra battery to go with your GD Itronix or Panasonic notebook.

Betty