Easiest way is to go to the manufacturers web site and see what options or upgrades they sell. They will tell you which drives usually fit in there and the specs.

I would not assume a laptop made in 05 would be SATA.

We bought a Toshiba for my son in 05 and it had an IDE drive in it.

You would have to see what the largest sized IDE laptop drive you can find is.

St3wart