Quoting Tony B <ton...@gmail.com>:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Reid Katan <ka...@his.com> wrote:

When running XP, as soon as I start Firefox the computer slows down to 1/5
of normal speed. How do I know it's 1/5? Because the clock ticks one time
every five seconds. Consistently. It doesn't pause for a bit then catch up,
it just runs at 1/5 speed. The only way to recover from it is to shut down.

Presumably some sort of add-on acting up? Have you tried starting FF
in safe mode (there should be a shortcut for this in the start menu).
Then try adding add-ons back one at a time. Can we assume browsing in
other browsers doesn't affect the system?

I don't load up with add-ons. Actually, none that I install on purpose. Flash, Shockwave, Java. That's about it. I wondered if maybe it was a Flash or Java thing.

I don't have any other browsers. . .well, IE, but I refuse to use that, but I can download something.

Like I said, I completely wiped all traces of FF in XP, and still had the same problem after reinstalling. I just wonder if FF found the Windows 7 profile when I reinstalled in XP.

What's really surprising to me is that this happens in two OS's. And
that it happens in Win7. Something in common odd there, like maybe a
video driver issue.

I'd buy the video driver issue with Win7, but the XP drivers have been the same forever.