I have a Treo Centro that I used roaming on CDMA in Canada twice this year with Sprint. Haven't carried it farther than that.

My husband has a GSM Blackberry on AT&T and we've used it in US, Canada, UK, Korea, and Oz.

----- Original Message ----- From: "b_s-wilk" <b1sun...@yahoo.es>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] AT&T Takes the Blame, Even for the iPhone's Faults

I recently saw a chart that showed the standard for all countries in the world that support Cell phones.

CDMA is used outside the US, but it is not as popular as GSM. CDMA is also used by Sprint.

When I was in Canada I could use my Verizon phone in a number of places. It was only when I got into the Northern area of Ontario (Which is semi remote) that I had problems with reception.

If I travel there again (which is likely as my in-laws live there.) I will buy a prepay ATT or T-mobile phone so I can have reception.

By the way prepay is a pretty big player up in Canada over and against contract.

International roaming for voice and 3G uses different frequencies than North America. Quadband GSM phones for voice are common. Only a limited number of phones have more than two frequencies for 3G, but they're available for travelers.

Japan uses CDMA, and I think there are CDMA networks in Australia. The 3G is WCDMA but not the same frequencies. Can you roam on the Sprint/Nextel network with Verizon? I thought they used incompatible phones and frequencies. Do Sprint customers need to buy another new phone to use their "4G" network?

PAYGO - buy your phone in Canada, or use a US phone with a Canadian SIM. Roaming charges with some providers can be steep.