I live in one of those areas Verizon sold off their pots service.

Many of the folks in this area are considered rural.

The only options we have are pots or cell.  No local VOIP offered here.

Right now I am working with my pots service to get a 6mps DSL service. Looks like I will be sticking with cable.

We are supposed to have a competing cable service within the next 6 months. They are expected to offer VOIP. (They are presently running their trunk lines)

Once you get outside of the big metro areas, pots still reigns.

Stewart