At 8:13 PM -0500 1/5/10, Eric S. Sande wrote:

It's this kind of sloppy writing that makes the rest of us have to
learn useless new words. I've never in my life heard the word
"wireline" before today, and really can't see the need when "landline"
works so well.

In general usage wireline is equivalent to landline or POTS.

I think we can safely say that "wireline" is a "term of art", which is defined as "A word or phrase that has special meaning in a particular context".
--
Roger
Lovettsville, VA