DVDs & CDs - CDs, yes, DVDs no. There's no reliable replacement for DVDs. Over-priced, over-hyped Blu-Ray disks are a marketing tool, not an answer.

Home telephone service - I was listening to a radio program last week where the host said that she lived in the DC area and lost her cable service for several days. She didn't have a digital TV so couldn't get broadcast TV shows. She had no Internet. She had no phone. Her cell phone had minimal reception in her apartment. She had to go to her neighbor who had a land line to make phone calls. She walked down to the corner store to buy newspapers. This may be an exception in DC, but it's normal in small towns and rural areas. The author lives in a big city and suburban fantasy world.

External hard drives - How do you backup your computer? Broadband isn't everywhere, and it isn't fast enough to back up hundreds of gigabytes.

Smart-phone also-rans - Fewer sales doesn't mean that a phone isn't as "smart" or useful. It usually means that its appeal and marketing is different. Is the most popular phone necessarily the best? Remember when the Razr was the "hot" phone? It was awful, but sold a lot.

Compact digital cameras - Our two very fine SLRs have been mostly sitting on the shelf since buying a tiny Nikon digital camera. Sometimes snapshots that capture the moment are more important and worth saving than a

Newspaper & magazine subscriptions - I went to a dance competition on Saturday. Took the bus to NYC; carried three magazines; left one on the bus. I forgot the other two after doing a video from the balcony of the ballroom. Glad I didn't have a Kindle.

New college textbooks - might be right on this one except the used textbooks have to be bought new by somebody, and you can't write useful notes in the margins of an e-reader.

Gas-guzzling autos - when gas is more expensive, fewer people will choose gas-guzzlers, but they won't go away.
Energy-inefficient homes and appliances