On Jan 18, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Fred Holmes wrote:
I'm not taking pictures of fast moving objects. I'm just trying to take a picture of unposed people at a wedding or some other party or gathering. By the time the shutter fires, good expressions have gone to bad ones, and heads have turned so that the face is no longer at a good angle or even visible.

Yes indeed. I once took a Nikon Coolpix POS on vacation. The shutter lag was so bad that not only did people's expressions change, but they had walked completely out of the room. I had frame after frame of nothing. No such problem with my much older Olympus.

Never buy a camera without checking shutter lag.