I've received a few emails stating that starting next month cell phone
companies will be given access to personal cell phone numbers and that one
must call a special number to request that your number not be given out.
Can anyone verify whether this is correct or just another rumor?  If the
former, why am I not hearing it on the news or public service announcements?

This rumor has been going around repeatedly for a really long period of time. It's just that a rumor with no factual basis!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/business/a/cell_directory.htm
http://www2.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp