On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Ranbo <ran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've received a few emails stating that starting next month cell phone
> companies will be given access to personal cell phone numbers and that one
> must call a special number to request that your number not be given out.
> Can anyone verify whether this is correct or just another rumor?  If the
> former, why am I not hearing it on the news or public service announcements?

  This is not true.  What is true is that cell phone carriers will
provide various governmental agencies with your calling records even
when those requests are illegal and the cell phone carrier is fully
aware that providing those records is against the law.  Moral: Do not
trust your cell phone company.  Nothing that they say they will or
will not do can be taken as truth.

  Steve