Except Your Government insists on putting all their archival material on microfilm, even alongside the digital archives, and archival preservation of their paper.

Your Government also is the world's largest user of vacuum tubes.

----- Original Message ----- From: "t.piwowar" <t...@tjpa.com>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] digital camera shutter lag

On Jan 26, 2010, at 10:01 PM, Rev. Stewart Marshall wrote:
Fuji, Kodak and I believe Ilford are all still producing film.

... and delivering it to customers via horse-drawn carriage.

Here is a thoughtful post...

"In a recent conversation with one of the scientists/archivists at the Getty museum in Los Angeles we discussed the future of color film. We agreed that what keeps color film alive is the motion picture film industry and once that industry moves over largely to digital capture and even more importantly, digital projection there will not be enough demand for color film for anyone to continue to produce it profitably and it will disappear. Regardless of it's attributes or the demand by prominent film makers and photographers no one will any longer be able to afford to produce it.

The still film market is minuscule when compared to the motion picture market and any innovations you are seeing are motivated by motion picture sales and not still film. Unlike B&W film, there is a huge amount of technology involved in the production of color film and because of this I believe it will likely disappear completely in the next 5 to 10 years."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100124134411AAwoHCs