Chris, you're wrong or misleading on many of your criticisms of the
iPad.  First, it's not "a midsize touchscreen", it's a large size
multitouch screen, one of the largest to be readily available.  You
have to have some experience with multitouch devices, particularly
Apple's, to really have the basis to appreciate how natural, useful
and downright fun they are.  To get a very weak idea of what I
mean, try using your mouse with the scroll wheel taped over
to see how natural its use has become to you and how awkward
it is to live without it.  Just because it's bigger, more gestures
are practical on the the iPad than they were on the touch.
If you're enthusiastic about Natal, then the iPad is Natal on
glass.

Regarding the lack of HD output, I'd really like it if someone would
establish how important it really is for any mobile device.  For the
Zune HD, what percentage of its owners buy the AV dock and what
percentage of them regularly use it?  On Amazon, only 15 people
have bothered to review the AV dock.  Rare teas can get more
reviews than that.  For another example, I don't think any Android
device has any kind of video output, much less HD.  Apparently
no one saw a need there.  Even for regular video, I just don't
understand why the Zune, Droid, etc., or iPad etc. should be thought
of as a conduit or source for video to be consumed elsewhere
instead of being the point of consumption.  It seems particularly
dubious for the iPad, which occupies the same field of vision
as a 22" diagonal laptop at their respective viewing distances.

The tech specs page says that the 3G iPad has assisted GPS,
and the TomTom kit for the touch should work for the non-3G
model, so you DO have GPS on all of the iPads, should you want
it.

Now, unless you're a hacker you do have to put your own music
and video on the iPad using the iTunes application, but you could
have gotten it from Amazon or Napster or Walmart (or any other
place that provides non-DRMed AAC or MPEG files or actual physical
CDs) before you imported it into iTunes, and there are no shortage
of music and video streaming apps.  As for Apple's <<horrrrible>>
app restrictions, I have to say that if they have allowed 140,000+
applications ranging from useless and/or disturbing apps like iFart
and Fishbate (you don't really want to know) to things like Google
Voice, then those restrictions can't be too severe.  Contrary to a
lot of noise from people who were never going to buy anything
Apple anyway, the app guidelines are actually fairly clear and
are primarily designed to ensure application stability and user
privacy.  The app approval process is much more akin to academic
peer review than it is to Chinese censorship.

Finally, it is untrue to say that iPhone OS devices don't multitask.
To specifically address Reid's gripe earlier in this thread
(responding to a similar blanket statement by Mike), you CAN
listen to music while you are in any other app that doesn't
take over your headphones for its own use.  I routinely listen to
music while surfing the web, composing a note or reading a book, etc.
(btw, the Free Books app for books out of copyright is fantastic).
While doing this, Mail and Calendar are working in the background
as well.  Now, it would be true to say that the Touch, etc. don't have
unlimited multitasking.  But that isn't the whole story either, because
you can functionally have multitasking in many other cases, in the
sense that if the app is well-written and you have to switch your attention
to a different app, then everything is written to memory so you return
to exactly the same state where you left off.  This doesn't work for
streaming apps like the wxpn app, which is a small annoyance
of mine, or for IM apps, which I think irritates Mike, but it seems
that this is a make-or-break issue for relatively few people.