While price was probably an issue, I don't myself think that it was
the main one in Apple's decision to keep the physical interfaces
to a minimum.  Apple likes to promote itself as the company whose
devices just work, and if they had USB ports on the iPad then there
would immediately be thousands of things that wouldn't work with it.
By making sure that all input comes in wirelessly (where you have
one set of expectations) or through the dock (where they have
full control), Apple has a better chance of making sure that
everything "Just Works".

The same issues crop up (albeit to a lesser degree) with
regards to the lack of a memory card slot.  SD cards are used
for more things than just photo files now, and many files that you
could have on the card wouldn't work on the iPad.  Also, how
would you manage those files?  The way things work right now,
each app is in charge of its own content.  Games on the Wii
manage files in a similar way, and while the Wii does have
a SD slot, managing files between the Wii and an SD card
is cumbersome.  Apple could likely improve on this, but they
probably made the call that users would mostly be willing to
wait until they sync with their computer, something that they
will regularly do anyway.