From: b_s-wilk <b1sun...@yahoo.es>
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] FCC head calls for broadband availability
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Date: Monday, February 22, 2010, 12:58 AM

>> Basically yes.  If you want a chicken in every pot.  Every local switch
>> and tandem switch has to be equipped.  Every mile has to be rebuilt.
>>
>> It might be twice my estimate.
>
> Or even 6 times as much. After you get done, and the cable companies run
> their system, then Google comes in behind all of you to run theirs.
>
> I don't understand why everybody needs to roll their own fiber. I don't have
> three sets of power lines coming to my house. Why can't the "information"
> providers get together and run one system that they can all share at a fair
> price? *Before* the Feds regulate that you have to.

Sure makes a lot of sense. That's the way they do it in some other countries
where service is much cheaper than it is here. Both broadband and mobile
service networks can be shared by multiple companies. Electric companies
already share networks.

Why can't they get together? Why can't they share? Because the Feds didn't
regulate that they have to, so they don't. Because even though it will be
cheaper in the long run, it's more complicated to cooperate than to go it alone.