It seems you found the best solution for your needs. But some folks like to use the same machine, for both home use and travel. With speeds, memory sizes and HD sizes on laptops these days, they rival what desktops had just a few years ago.

mike wrote:
That came up in our discussion on what we would do about her laptop.  The
cost of just building a solid system, I already had the
case/keyboard/mouse/hard drives, and getting some kind of dock was not much
different.  Decided on the little tower instead.