Well, there goes the franchise.

Well, there goes the franchise.  We quibble about the strange US fascination
for constructing
redundant telephone poles for our warring telecoms, the tax on our economic
health of anæmic "high speed," about the flow of treasure into sands
and mountains and out the doors of WalMart, but r&d has always been the
hole card, the basis of "American genius."  We will innovate our way forward
with green jobs,
yadayada.  Our final innovations may
well have been devilish ways to trade paper for bits of paper and mindless apps
for warm little electronic toys.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/business/global/18research.html?nl=technology&emc=techupdateema1