I was talking about these commercials:

<http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads/>

Which do show users finding a restaurant, ordering
flowers, etc. while talking.

I haven't seen AT&T explicitly selling iPhones, except for
banner ads at their stores.  This is probably a strategy
that they coordinated with Apple, who after all has an even
greater stake in selling the iPhones than AT&T has, and
likes to go to great lengths to protect its image.

And AT&T does sell the iPhone indirectly, as in the parody of
the Folgers Coffee Crystals ads ("We've secretly replaced
these diners' AT&T smart phones with Verizon's smart phones.
Let's see what happens."), where for example subjects of the
experiment angrily ask "Where are all my apps?" and "Where
is my cool phone?".

And in the other restaurant commercial where Luke Wilson helps
a dad in the next booth to calm his upset kid by lending him a phone
showing a movie Luke just downloaded, I don't know what the phone
is that is actually used (no manufacturer branding on it, it's probably
a mock-up of a generic touchscreen), but it could certainly be mistaken
for an iPhone.