"Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna
performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the
placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone.
If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower
left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal
band, or simply use one of many available cases."

Sure it's great spin, but they admit that holding the phone in the way 90%
of users do will result in signal loss.  Like my phone, if I hold it upside
down and backwards, sideways to my ear so it's unusable, I tend to lose a
little signal.  Holding it like a phone however, I've had no signal loss.