But one gets beeps at times from the POST, which says that the machine ROM BIOS
can produce a sound.  So if the cause of the sound uses that instead of a
Windows API call, you are going to get the sound anyway, even when the Windows
volume control has been turned down all the way or muted.

Fred Holmes

At 06:44 PM 3/21/2011, Jordan wrote:
>Turn the volume down all the way or set it to mute.
>
>On 3/21/11 11:37 AM, Tom Chambers wrote:
>>List members -
>>             I hate computers that talk to me , so when I'm setting up
>>a machine for my own use I always set it to "no sounds" in
>>the control panel. That works for most sounds , but in XP I still get
>>the standard "beep" when I change volume or get a new
>>email (in this case in an old Netscape mail program). Anyone know how to
>>shut these sounds off ?
>>
>>Thanks ,
>>
>>Tom Chambers

**   THIS LIST HAS MOVED TO YAHOO    **