Stephen Warren wrote:
> So, I worked on the patch for issue 1 separately, because I started it
> first, and because it initially looked like we weren't going to address
> issue 2. My plan was to fix (1), then quickly work up the fix to (2)
> following that, to keep the amount of merge issues lower during
> development.

I see. Well I'd prefer to merge one that does both, but would accept one
that does just 1 if one to handle 2 is definitely coming shortly there after.

> Yes. I was tempted to simply remove one function or the other, and make a
> single uber-function that performed both the complete validation, and
> located the binary firmware. It's true such a function would seemingly do
> quite a lot, but it's probably easiest for an application to use. Are you
> OK with that?

I think it probably makes the most sense. That one function, perhaps might
end up as a few sub-functions, if necessary for code readability and
factorization, but I think having one API call to do both probably makes sense.

To be clear, here's *why* I think it makes sense: the verification is
*purely* verifying what the XML says *about* the binary blob. So really it's
just a safety check we do as part of extracting the binary. If it was
verifying other parts of the XML, I would disagree and say that the user
should be able to "want to verify the data without looking for the config
binary", but given the verification that we're doing, that doesn't actually
make sense and it was probably a mistake for me to separate them in the
first place.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming