1.1. Re: False friends
    From: John Lategan
    From: Karen Badham
    From: Philip Newton
    From: Charlie
    From: kechpaja
    From: Mechthild Czapp
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: Roger Mills
    From: Matthew Turnbull
    From: René Uittenbogaard
    From: Brett Williams
    From: Mechthild Czapp
    From: Daniel Nielsen
    From: Andreas Johansson
    From: Carsten Becker
    From: Roger Mills
    From: G. van der Vegt
    From: René Uittenbogaard
    From: Carsten Becker
    From: Daniel Nielsen

    From: Sai Emrys

    From: kechpaja
    From: Daniel Nielsen
3c. Re: Finally Online!
    From: Matthew Turnbull
3d. Re: Finally Online!
    From: Richard Littauer

1.1. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "John Lategan" jla...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 am ((PDT))

2010/8/16 Adam Walker <carra...@gmail.com>

> Say ~Buy a donkey~ in an Afrikaans context, and they will think you
> said ~Very well, thanks~.

{ha ha! That's quite the Gauteng accent!}

--------------------

2010/8/16 Daniel Nielsen <niel...@uah.edu>

> Sorry to be puerile and obvious, but who could forget learning the German
> "fach" (subject), which sounds more like the similar-sounding English word
> than "fick-".

The Afrikaans "vak" (subject) is pronounced exactly like the English
explitive.

Afrikaans and Dutch have some really annoying ones:

Afr: "Ek hou van jou" = Dutch: "Ik ben voor je lief" (I like you [friends])
Afr: "Ek is vir jou lief " = Du: "Ik hou(d) van jou" (I love you)

Afr: "byna; amper" = both mean 'nearly'
Du: "bijna" = nearly| "amper" = nearly not/just not

and

Afr: "aardig" = strange, offensive-personality
Du: "aardig" = nice, warm-personality

Afr: "fok/fokken, naai" = <explitives, unacceptable language>
Du: "fokken" = to breed animals| "naai" = to sew, do needle-work

Afr: "boodskap" = message
Du: "boodschappen" = shopping [noun] | Dutch 'message' is "bericht"; the
Afrikaans "berig" means 'rapport'.

1.2. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Karen Badham" ktbad...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:23 am ((PDT))

2010/8/16 Daniel Nielsen <niel...@uah.edu>

> > Sorry to be puerile and obvious, but who could forget learning the German
> > "fach" (subject), which sounds more like the similar-sounding English
> word
> > than "fick-".
> >
> The Afrikaans "vak" (subject) is pronounced exactly like the English
> explitive.
>
> Afrikaans and Dutch have some really annoying ones:
>
> Afr: "Ek hou van jou" = Dutch: "Ik ben voor je lief" (I like you [friends])
> Afr: "Ek is vir jou lief " = Du: "Ik hou(d) van jou" (I love you)
>
> Afr: "byna; amper" = both mean 'nearly'
> Du: "bijna" = nearly| "amper" = nearly not/just not
>
> and
>
> Afr: "aardig" = strange, offensive-personality
> Du: "aardig" = nice, warm-personality
>
> Afr: "fok/fokken, naai" = <explitives, unacceptable language>
> Du: "fokken" = to breed animals| "naai" = to sew, do needle-work
>
> Afr: "boodskap" = message
> Du: "boodschappen" = shopping [noun] | Dutch 'message' is "bericht"; the
> Afrikaans "berig" means 'rapport'.

This sounds like the similar thing that happens between English and Patwa.
They often use English words to mean completely different things. My
favorite example is "You look trash" which is a compliment in Patwa.
Consequently "You look LIKE trash" means the same thing it does in English.

-Karen Terry
http://anti-moliminous.blogspot.com/

1.3. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Philip Newton" philip.new...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 am ((PDT))

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM, John Lategan <jla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Afr: "fok/fokken, naai" = <explitives, unacceptable language>
> Du: "fokken" = to breed animals| "naai" = to sew, do needle-work

Ah, as in the famous joke, where the Queen visits the Netherlands and
asks a farmer what he does on his farm, and he answers, "I fok
horses". She replies, "Pardon?!" and he says, "Ja, paarden!"

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.new...@gmail.com>

1.4. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Charlie" caeruleancent...@yahoo.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 am ((PDT))

> 2010/8/16 Daniel Nielsen <niel...@...>
>
> The Afrikaans "vak" (subject) is pronounced exactly like the English
> explitive.

I remember reading a book many decades ago in which the author told of his
personal experiences of traveling in Portgugal. He tells of a time in a
restaurant when he needed a fork, 'faca' in Portuguese. He shouted out for one
and, with the final <a> silent, embarrassed his table mates with a word very
similar to the English expletive.

Charlie

1.5. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "kechpaja" kechp...@comcast.net
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:10 am ((PDT))

On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Lars Finsen wrote:

> Den 16. aug. 2010 kl. 23.24 skreiv Daniel Nielsen:
>
>> Now to be narcissistic :) Dan means judgement in Hebrew, gift/charity in
>> Hindi, and I've been told "ripe, low-hanging fruit" in Arabic (although I'm
>> not sure exactly how that relates to Hebrew), although judgement and gift
>> seem like similar concepts.
>
> In Urianian it means "red", and in Suraetua "animal lair" or "low ground".

In Va�t � K�vik it means "above" or "over".

1.6. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" 0zu...@gmx.de
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:17 am ((PDT))

> An: conl...@listserv.brown.edu
> Betreff: Re: False friends

> I can think of actuallement(presently) and ha^te(exited) in French.
> There are obviously others, like crayon(pencil) or plume(pen, feather)
> or magazin (store), and many more. Faux amis suck :(

I do think that they are quite funny. But then, for me, there is often such a
mental wall between the languages that I do not even notice them until someone
points them out to me. And they are easily rememberred. I am pretty sure that
the rejistanian soccer club Karela Lines would not have become as infamous as
it is in the weird and whacky world of NationStates if is was Karela Veran or
Karela Omeh.
--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix'ta jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

1.7. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 am ((PDT))

On 17 August 2010 15:11, John Lategan <jla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Afrikaans "vak" (subject) is pronounced exactly like the English
> explitive.

So is the Dutch "vak" (same meaning).

> Afrikaans and Dutch have some really annoying ones:
>
> Afr: "Ek hou van jou" = Dutch: "Ik ben voor je lief" (I like you [friends])

Sorry, but that's the first time I see that expression in Dutch, and I've
been speaking the language for nearly 10 years. "I like you" is "Ik vind je
leuk". I don't know any "Ik ben voor je lief" (to me, it sounds like it
means "I am nice to you"). You do have "Ik heb je lief", but it's just
another way to say "I love you" (some say it's more romantic than "ik hou
van jou").

> Afr: "Ek is vir jou lief " = Du: "Ik hou(d) van jou" (I love you)

OK.

> Afr: "byna; amper" = both mean 'nearly'
> Du: "bijna" = nearly| "amper" = nearly not/just not

Indeed, although in some Dutch dialects "amper" is a synonym of "bijna".

> and
>
> Afr: "aardig" = strange, offensive-personality
> Du: "aardig" = nice, warm-personality

That's a funny one! :)

> Afr: "fok/fokken, naai" = <explitives, unacceptable language>
> Du: "fokken" = to breed animals| "naai" = to sew, do needle-work

"naaien" in Dutch also has the expletive meaning the Afrikaans equivalent
has. It's used as much in that sense (maybe even more) than in the sense of
"to sew". It also means "to trick" in a very offensive, hurt way (when
you've been the victim of such trick).

> Afr: "boodskap" = message
> Du: "boodschappen" = shopping [noun] | Dutch 'message' is "bericht"; the
> Afrikaans "berig" means 'rapport'.

"boodschaap" also means "message" in Dutch. Only in the plural can it also
mean "shopping" (only when buying groceries and other such things. For
shopping around for clothes and such, Dutch uses the verb "winkelen", from
"winkel": "shop"). And "boodschappen" can also mean "messages" in the right
context.

So, not all of them are true false friends, most of them just happen to have
more than one meaning in Dutch, one of them used exclusively in Afrikaans.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

1.8. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:46 am ((PDT))

--- On Mon, 8/16/10, kechpaja <kechp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Pronounced /fOl/, and cognate with
> "full". I think what he's referring to is that the American
> would try to say "Ich bin voll" meaning "I am full" (have
> had enough to eat), not realizing that that expression is
> different in German.

Indonesian friends who had studied/lived in the US told of saying "I am [ful]"
to their dinner hosts, and being answered, "No you're not a fool!"

1.9. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Matthew Turnbull" ave....@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:48 am ((PDT))

Interstingly enough, i've ne ver heard it used in the sense of
hurried, only in the expression avoir ha^te. Anyhow, since learning
French as an L2 with very little to no instruction at a young age led
to using e^tre in alot of the places you would use avoir, people would
say je suis ha^te or il est ha^te, which of course sounds like hot,
and makes you sound silly. Another one that might not count as a faux
ami but gets some chuckles anyway is the MTS center in winnipeg, MTS
standing for manitoba telecomunications service, but the french name
le centre MTS sounds like a venereal disease clinic (maladie transmise
sexuallement). MTS=STD

On 8/17/10, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 August 2010 07:50, Matthew Turnbull <ave....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can think of actuallement(presently)
>

> I remember it as the bane of the French student of English: "actually" means
> "en fait", "réellement" (really), while "actuellement" means "presently".
> It's one of the worst faux amis to remember!
>

>> and ha^te(exited) in French.
>>

> ? "hâte" means "hurry" (haste is related), not "excited" (which I guess is
> what you meant). If you're talking about the expression "j'ai hâte" as in
> "j'ai hâte de le voir", it means "I can't wait" ("I can't wait to see him").
> The meaning of excitement is secondary, the primary meaning is that of
> haste.
>
> Also, can you really call it a faux ami with "hate"? The first one is a
> noun, the English one a verb.
>

>> There are obviously others, like crayon(pencil)
>

> This one bothered me for a long time, as I had never learned at school that
> "crayon" was a word in English as well. The first time I saw it in an
> English text I was confused.
>

>> or plume(pen, feather)
>>

> Never bothered me :) .
>

>> or magazin (store), and many more.
>

> Let me throw in some Dutch to muddy the waters even more :) . Dutch
> "warenhuis" is *not* a "warehouse", but a department store. So what is
> "warehouse" in Dutch? "Magazijn". The circle is closed :P .
>

>> Faux amis suck :(
>>

> Come on! They can be fun! You get used to them after a while, and it's
> always a treat to see how similar words can mean such different things!
>
> Similarly to this, I've been entertained to no end during my learning Modern
> Greek. Seeing the same roots we use for scientific words being used for very
> mundane things is always a treat for me :) .
>
> Hey, here's another one! "Mundane" means "common". But in French "mondain"
> means "belonging to the high class, snob"!
> --
> Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.
>
> http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
> http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

1.10. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "René Uittenbogaard" ruitt...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 am ((PDT))

2010/8/17 Matthew Turnbull <ave....@gmail.com>:

> Another one that might not count as a
> faux ami but gets some chuckles anyway is the MTS center in winnipeg,
> MTS standing for manitoba telecomunications service, but the french
> name le centre MTS sounds like a venereal disease clinic (maladie
> transmise sexuallement). MTS=STD

This is the effect that the acronym for Service Oriented Architecture
has on the Dutch: SOA = STD.

2010/8/17 Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela...@gmail.com>:

> On 17 August 2010 15:11, John Lategan <jla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Afrikaans and Dutch have some really annoying ones:
>>
>> Afr: "Ek hou van jou" = Dutch: "Ik ben voor je lief" (I like you
>> [friends])
>
> Sorry, but that's the first time I see that expression in Dutch, and
> I've been speaking the language for nearly 10 years. "I like you" is
> "Ik vind je leuk". I don't know any "Ik ben voor je lief" (to me, it
> sounds like it means "I am nice to you").

"Ik ben lief voor je" is "I am nice to you".

>> Afr: "Ek is vir jou lief " = Du: "Ik hou(d) van jou" (I love you)

Oh? I was under the impression that it meant "I am in love with you".

>> Afr: "boodskap" = message
>> Du: "boodschappen" = shopping [noun] | Dutch 'message' is "bericht";
>> the Afrikaans "berig" means 'rapport'.
>
> "boodschaap" also means "message" in Dutch.

A colleague of mine used to say: "Je moet geen boodschap *doen*, je moet
een boodschap *hebben*!"

Dutch     plaats = place
Afrikaans plaas  = farm

Dutch     vinnig = fierce
Afrikaans vinnig = fast

Rene

1.11. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Brett Williams" mungoje...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 am ((PDT))

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
<tsela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This one bothered me for a long time, as I had never learned at school that
> "crayon" was a word in English as well. The first time I saw it in an
> English text I was confused.

This one (from the other side) was one of the first false friends I
ever encountered.  I know because I distinctly remember turning it
over and over in my mind, absolutely astounded by the concept that in
French it could mean something different.

I'm studying Swedish right now (BTW if anyone can email me any Swedish
learning resources you know of that would be great) and so I
encountered this hilarious video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHniCEHY7I  It mentions various
English/Swedish false friends, like apparently "slut" is Swedish for
"end". :D

<3,
la stela selckiku
aka
mungojelly
aka
bret-ram
aka
veret'he
aka
brett

1.12. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" 0zu...@gmx.de
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:19 am ((PDT))

> Von: "René Uittenbogaard" <ruitt...@gmail.com>
> An: conl...@listserv.brown.edu
> Betreff: Re: False friends

> 2010/8/17 Matthew Turnbull <ave....@gmail.com>:
>
> > Another one that might not count as a
> > faux ami but gets some chuckles anyway is the MTS center in winnipeg,
> > MTS standing for manitoba telecomunications service, but the french
> > name le centre MTS sounds like a venereal disease clinic (maladie
> > transmise sexuallement). MTS=STD
>
> This is the effect that the acronym for Service Oriented Architecture
> has on the Dutch: SOA = STD.

And for Germans, DDR RAM sounds like RAM produced in the German Democratic
Republic.

BTW: No one mentioned Who == Wer and Where == Wo yet? These 2 were the first
ones I encountered.

--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix'ta jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

1.13. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Daniel Nielsen" niel...@uah.edu
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 pm ((PDT))

Simple food-related ones (all I know is restaurant-worker Spanish, so take
what I say will a large dose of la sal :)) since many of the least benign
f.f. seem to be between languages with common sources (does that make them
less false or more false? :))

(Mex Sp) limon (often short for limon verde): lime AND lima: fruit not
native to the US <=> (Eng) lemon AND lima bean

(Mex Sp) gord-: corpulent person <=> (Eng) gourd

(Am Eng) coriander: seed <=> (Br Eng) coriander: cilantro leaf/seed

1.14. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Andreas Johansson" andre...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm ((PDT))

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Brett Williams <mungoje...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I'm studying Swedish right now (BTW if anyone can email me any Swedish
> learning resources you know of that would be great) and so I
> encountered this hilarious video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHniCEHY7I  It mentions various
> English/Swedish false friends, like apparently "slut" is Swedish for
> "end". :D

It does, but the Swedish vowel is quite different from the English one.

A better one, so to speak, is _fart_, meaning speed.

Similar to French, we've got _aktuell_ "present, current". Also of I
expect French origin is _eventuell_ "possible, conceivable", tho I
don't know what if anything it means in French.

--
Andreas Johansson

1.15. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Carsten Becker" carb...@googlemail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm ((PDT))

Am 17.08.2010 18:26 schrieb Brett Williams:
> like apparently "slut" is Swedish for "end". :D

Yes, that's cognate to German "Schluss" [ʃlʊs] with the same meaning.

Carsten

1.16. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm ((PDT))

--- On Tue, 8/17/10, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Afr: "byna; amper" = both mean 'nearly'
> > Du: "bijna" = nearly| "amper" = nearly not/just not
> >

> Indeed, although in some Dutch dialects "amper" is a
> synonym of "bijna".

Does "amper" have a Dutch etymology? It looks suspiciously like Malay hampir
'almost'....(the h- can be (almost) silent in some dialects.)

1.17. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "G. van der Vegt" gijsstri...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:40 pm ((PDT))

On 17 August 2010 21:59, Roger Mills <romi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 8/17/10, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Afr: "byna; amper" = both mean 'nearly'
>> > Du: "bijna" = nearly| "amper" = nearly not/just not
>> >

>> Indeed, although in some Dutch dialects "amper" is a
>> synonym of "bijna".
>
> Does "amper" have a Dutch etymology? It looks suspiciously like Malay hampir
> 'almost'....(the h- can be (almost) silent in some dialects.)

Could be related. IIRC, Malay and Indonesian are pretty close, and it
wouldn't be the first word that has be borrowed from Indonesian.

1.18. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "René Uittenbogaard" ruitt...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:48 pm ((PDT))

2010/8/17 G. van der Vegt <gijsstri...@gmail.com>:
> On 17 August 2010 21:59, Roger Mills <romi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does "amper" have a Dutch etymology? It looks suspiciously like Malay
>> hampir 'almost'....(the h- can be (almost) silent in some dialects.)
>>

> Could be related. IIRC, Malay and Indonesian are pretty close, and it
> wouldn't be the first word that has be borrowed from Indonesian.

Wow, indeed! :)
According to < http://tinyurl.com/amper1 > it comes from Malay:

> zijn er Maleise woorden in het Nederlands doorgedrongen, zoals
> pienter, amper, soebatten, bakkeleien, piekeren, klewang, kras en branie.

Fun to know!

René

1.19. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Carsten Becker" carb...@googlemail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:55 pm ((PDT))

Am 17.08.2010 22:20 schrieb G. van der Vegt:
> Could be related. IIRC, Malay and Indonesian are pretty close

On a tangent,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Malay_and_Indonesian>

Carsten

1.20. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Daniel Nielsen" niel...@uah.edu
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:59 pm ((PDT))

Whenever I hear Tamil's vanakkam, I hear "wanna come?"
Until you get used to it, it seems like laughing when an Indian says "haa"
(or jihaan: yes) and does the head wiggle.

2. conlang.org down temporarily
    Posted by: "Sai Emrys" s...@saizai.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 am ((PDT))

Registrar issues again. Looks like we didn't make a clean break with
Joker last time; will make sure we do so after the short-term fix is
complete.

David Durand has helped get it fixed, but the fix will take probably
half a day to take effect.

In the meantime, nothing at conlang.org will work, including email.
Will update when it's back.

- Sai

3a. Finally Online!
    Posted by: "kechpaja" kechp...@comcast.net
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 am ((PDT))

I just set up a website at webs.com to display my conlanging work. As of the
present moment, it only contains the phonology and lexicon of Va�t � K�vik, but
I am still working on it and will be updating as often as possible. The url is:

http://kechpaja.webs.com/

-Kelvin

3b. Re: Finally Online!
    Posted by: "Daniel Nielsen" niel...@uah.edu
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 am ((PDT))

Congrats, thanks for the link

3c. Re: Finally Online!
    Posted by: "Matthew Turnbull" ave....@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am ((PDT))

Congratulations! websites are awesome, I hope your's turns out well.

3d. Re: Finally Online!
    Posted by: "Richard Littauer" richard.litta...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 am ((PDT))

Congratulations. Looking forward to reading more. I like the lexicon, after
a brief read through...