1a. Re: conlang.org down temporarily
    From: Sai Emrys
    From: Mechthild Czapp
    From: David Peterson

    From: Patrick Dunn

    From: Noelle Morris
    From: MorphemeAddict
    From: Herman Miller
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: kechpaja
    From: Julia Simon
    From: Andreas Johansson
3.10. Re: False friends
    From: Daniel Nielsen
3.11. Re: False friends
    From: Njenfalgar
3.12. Re: False friends
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
3.13. Re: False friends
    From: kechpaja

4a. Re: online etym dicts (was: Re: my new romlang (was: OT (mostly): my
    From: Eric Christopherson
4b. Re: online etym dicts (was: Re: my new romlang (was: OT (mostly): my
    From: Alex Fink

5a. Re: Finally Online!
    From: Roberto Suarez Soto

1a. Re: conlang.org down temporarily
    Posted by: "Sai Emrys" s...@saizai.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm ((PDT))

... looks like we're back in full operation.

- Sai

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Sai Emrys <s...@saizai.com> wrote:
> Registrar issues again. Looks like we didn't make a clean break with
> Joker last time; will make sure we do so after the short-term fix is
> complete.
>
> David Durand has helped get it fixed, but the fix will take probably
> half a day to take effect.
>
> In the meantime, nothing at conlang.org will work, including email.
> Will update when it's back.
>
> - Sai

1b. Re: conlang.org down temporarily
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" 0zu...@gmx.de
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:46 pm ((PDT))

A friend from offlist claims that there are still issues with the RSS feed of
the aggregator.
He got the message: The last update of this subscription failed! HTTP error
code 404: Resource Not Found

Is that his slani setup or is there an issue?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix'ta jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

1c. Re: conlang.org down temporarily
    Posted by: "David Peterson" deda...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:00 pm ((PDT))

The Aggregator appears to be working just fine at present. There is one blog
we've been having problems with for over a month (the Conlang Movie blog), but
I suspect that's because they've stopped maintaining it.

On Aug 17, 2010, at 6◊43 PM, Mechthild Czapp wrote:

> A friend from offlist claims that there are still issues with the RSS feed of
> the aggregator.
> He got the message: The last update of this subscription failed! HTTP error
> code 404: Resource Not Found
>
> Is that his slani setup or is there an issue?
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:31:29 -0700
>> Von: Sai Emrys <s...@saizai.com>
>> An: conl...@listserv.brown.edu
>> Betreff: Re: conlang.org down temporarily
>
>> ... looks like we're back in full operation.
>>
>> - Sai
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Sai Emrys <s...@saizai.com> wrote:
>>> Registrar issues again. Looks like we didn't make a clean break with
>>> Joker last time; will make sure we do so after the short-term fix is
>>> complete.
>>>
>>> David Durand has helped get it fixed, but the fix will take probably
>>> half a day to take effect.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, nothing at conlang.org will work, including email.
>>> Will update when it's back.
>>>
>>> - Sai
>>>

> --
> Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix'ta jilih, nka.
>
> My life would be easy if it was not so hard!
>

> GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
> http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/

2a. Re: The English r.
    Posted by: "Patrick Dunn" pwd...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 pm ((PDT))

I don't know that I hear it as a fricative very often, but it's an
odd, odd sound and extremely unstable across the range of English
speakers.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear /r/ realized as nearly
anything.

--
I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window
to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.  --Arthur

3.1. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Noelle Morris" rhaman...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm ((PDT))

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@
gmail.com> wrote:

> Come on! They can be fun! You get used to them after a while, and it's
> always a treat to see how similar words can mean such different things!
>
> Similarly to this, I've been entertained to no end during my learning
> Modern
> Greek. Seeing the same roots we use for scientific words being used for
> very
> mundane things is always a treat for me :) .

I agree! As much as some of them have confused me (especially French! So
many orthographically-identical or similar false friends), I enjoy them as
well. My favorite faux amis so far are actually sort of (vaguely) related.
There's the old joke about Japanese speakers saying "hi" all the time on the
phone, when they are actually saying "yes" (hai). Imagine my amusement when
I stumbled upon one end of a phone conversation in Basque (my alma mater has
the largest Basque library in the US), and heard a repeated "bye" -- which
is actually the word for "yes" (bai).

--
- Rhamantus

3.2. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "MorphemeAddict" lytl...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 pm ((PDT))

An American friend of mine fluent in German once told me about a time when
he was working in an office in Germany, he through a wad of paper at a trash
can and missed. Naturally, he said, "Missed!" His boss overheard him and was
very upset that my friend used such language ("Mist!" = 'Shit!' or 'Crap!')
at work. No amount of arguing could change the man's mind. That's how I
learned the word.

stevo

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Peter Bleackley <
peter.bleack...@rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just discovered a wonderful pair of false friends.
>
> /silk/ is Arabic for "wire".
>
> Anyone know any more good ones?

3.3. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Herman Miller" hmil...@io.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm ((PDT))

kechpaja wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Lars Finsen wrote:
>
>> Den 16. aug. 2010 kl. 23.24 skreiv Daniel Nielsen:
>>
>>> Now to be narcissistic :) Dan means judgement in Hebrew, gift/charity in
>>> Hindi, and I've been told "ripe, low-hanging fruit" in Arabic (although I'm
>>> not sure exactly how that relates to Hebrew), although judgement and gift
>>> seem like similar concepts.
>> In Urianian it means "red", and in Suraetua "animal lair" or "low ground".
>
> In Va�t � K�vik it means "above" or "over".

In Jarda (also borrowed into Minza) it means "lion".

3.4. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 pm ((PDT))

On 17 August 2010 17:45, Matthew Turnbull <ave....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interstingly enough, i've ne ver heard it used in the sense of
> hurried, only in the expression avoir ha^te.

But that expression *does* mean "to be in a hurry to" or "can't wait"! Its
main meaning is one of hurriedness, not one of excitement.

> Anyhow, since learning
> French as an L2 with very little to no instruction at a young age led
> to using e^tre in alot of the places you would use avoir, people would
> say je suis ha^te or il est ha^te, which of course sounds like hot,
> and makes you sound silly.

I can imagine! :P Just use the right verb! ;)

> Another one that might not count as a faux
> ami but gets some chuckles anyway is the MTS center in winnipeg, MTS
> standing for manitoba telecomunications service, but the french name
> le centre MTS sounds like a venereal disease clinic (maladie transmise
> sexuallement). MTS=STD

Except that in French it's MST (Maladie Sexuellement Transmissible), not
MTS.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

3.5. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:55 pm ((PDT))

On 17 August 2010 21:42, Andreas Johansson <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It does, but the Swedish vowel is quite different from the English one.
>
> A better one, so to speak, is _fart_, meaning speed.
>
> Similar to French, we've got _aktuell_ "present, current". Also of I
> expect French origin is _eventuell_ "possible, conceivable", tho I
> don't know what if anything it means in French.

"éventuel" is a word in French indeed, meaning "conceivable indeed".
"Éventuellement" vs. "eventually" is the other student's bane, similar to
"actuellement" vs. "actually" ;) .
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

3.6. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 am ((PDT))

On 17 August 2010 22:31, Carsten Becker <carb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 17.08.2010 18:26 schrieb Brett Williams:
>
>  like apparently "slut" is Swedish for "end". :D
>>

> Yes, that's cognate to German "Schluss" [ʃlʊs] with the same meaning.
>
> Carsten

In Dutch it's "slot", meaning "lock (padlock), conclusion, closure, end".
Besides the rounded vowel, it's actually extremely close to the English
insult :P .
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

3.7. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "kechpaja" kechp...@comcast.net
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 am ((PDT))

On Aug 18, 2010, at 3:00 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:

> On 17 August 2010 22:31, Carsten Becker <carb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 17.08.2010 18:26 schrieb Brett Williams:
>>
>> like apparently "slut" is Swedish for "end". :D
>>>

>> Yes, that's cognate to German "Schluss" [ʃlʊs] with the same meaning.
>>
>> Carsten
>>

> In Dutch it's "slot", meaning "lock (padlock), conclusion, closure, end".
> Besides the rounded vowel, it's actually extremely close to the English
> insult :P

And both, it just occurred to me, are probably related to the English word
"slot".

3.8. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Julia Simon" julia.si...@iki.fi
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 am ((PDT))

Hello!

I'd like to add one false cognate and some false friends to the mix. :-)

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Noelle Morris <rhaman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's the old joke about Japanese speakers saying "hi" all the time on the
> phone, when they are actually saying "yes" (hai). Imagine my amusement when
> I stumbled upon one end of a phone conversation in Basque (my alma mater has
> the largest Basque library in the US), and heard a repeated "bye" -- which
> is actually the word for "yes" (bai).

Reminds me of the time I heard a Lebanese friend talk on the phone to
one of *his* Lebanese friends, and afterwards he turned to me and
said, "You're probably wondering why, even though I was speaking
Arabic, I kept saying 'yes' in Finnish."

I hadn't even noticed, but of course I did start wondering as soon as
he mentioned it. ;-)

Turns out there's a colloquial Arabic word _'aywa_ "yes" (أيوه, hope
the Unicode gets through unharmed), which sounds almost like Finnish
_aivan_ "exactly, indeed", which can also be used to mean simply
"yes".

Well, at least there seems to be no colloquial Arabic word for "yes"
that sounds like a Finnish word meaning "out of the question"...

A friend of mine, whose mother belongs to the German-speaking minority
in Prague (or used to belong; she emigrated to Germany in her early
20s), warned me about her dialect before introducing us. Apparently (I
don't know any Czech at all, alas) the Czech word for "yes" is
something like "ano" and this word seeped into the everyday language
of some non-Czech speakers as well (or, more likely, into the *other*
language of some bilingual speakers) and then got mangled a bit,
giving us a German dialect where it's possible to say "yes" with a
word that sounds a lot like "no". (If you want to pick nits: yes, OF
COURSE the German word for "no" isn't _no_ but _nein_, which
incidentally sounds like the English word for the number 9, but most
Germans are aware of at least one foreign language (English, Italian,
Spanish, what have you) where the opposite of "yes" actually is
something resembling _no_. Incidentally, Russian _но_ [no] and
Scottish Gaelic _neo_ [n_jO] (or something like that) sound a lot like
"no" as well, but mean "but" and "or" respectively, if I remember
correctly. And Finnish _ja_ "and" and Swedish _jag_ "I" sound a lot
like the German word for "yes", as does the Russian word for "I", only
they spell it _я_. Interestingly enough, this never bothered me
(German native speaker) when learning these languages, until I moved
to Finland and it just so happened that my next-door neighbor was
Russian, so I had ample opportunity to speak (and confuse) both
languages and *then* I started saying [ja] in Finnish when I meant "I"
and in Russian when I meant "and". But I digress.)

Here's another Finnish-Arabic one: While looking through my dictionary
in order to find out the exact spelling of _'aywa_ (my Arabic is very,
very rusty), I found out that _'ihaana_ (إهانة) means "insult". In
Finnish, _ihana_ means "wonderful" or "delightful". Fortunately, the
pronunciation is rather different; the Finnish word is stressed on the
first syllable and all three vowels are short; in the Arabic word, the
second vowel is long and carries the stress.

Regards,
                        Julia 8-)

--
   Julia Simon (Schnecki) -- Sprachen-Freak vom Dienst
_@"  schnecki AT iki DOT fi / helicula AT gmail DOT com  "@_

3.9. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Andreas Johansson" andre...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 am ((PDT))

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Julia Simon <julia.si...@iki.fi> wrote:

> And Finnish _ja_ "and" and Swedish _jag_ "I" sound a lot
> like the German word for "yes"

The Swedish word for "yes" is also _ja_, making "yes" and "I" homophones.

(Well, homophones most of the time - the 'g' is only almost always silent.)

--
Andreas Johansson

3.10. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Daniel Nielsen" niel...@uah.edu
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:43 am ((PDT))

Of course, that's somewhat similar to English :): aye, I

At first, aisi (Hindi "like this") always stuck out as air conditioner or
alternating current.

[ sahar ] Semitic - Heb.: moon; Per.: dusk,dawn; N. Afr. Arab.: desert --
I.E. - Russ.: sugar

[ bhookh (similar to English "book") ] Hind. - hunger

3.11. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Njenfalgar" njenfal...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 am ((PDT))

There's a Dutch-Russian one my grandmother once accidentally stumbled upon.
We entered into a restaurant in Saint-Petersburg, and in her never-ending
enthusiasm she shouted "Goeiendag", which just means "Good day" in Dutch.
People glowered at her pretty horribly while she was saying that, and my
mother then had to explain her that the /xuj/ part in Russian is not a nice
word ("testicle", if I remember correctly), while in Dutch it's just "good".
And a French-Russian one: Someone who was used to Francophone border
crossings had gotten used to asking "ça va?" /sava/ after having his
documents checked. One day he went to Russia, and all of a sudden he was
taken to some not-too-pleasant place to be interrogated. After a couple of
hours the policemen gathered he really did not speak a word of Russian and
they released him. Turns out that /sava/ means "owl" in Russian, which is
not a very nice thing to call people.

--
Raash te feegatpin: nuukazet nhamaru'eng, shayip büngnetuk seepiit.

http://njenfalgar.4shared.com/

3.12. Re: False friends
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:52 am ((PDT))

On 18 August 2010 09:26, Julia Simon <julia.si...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to add one false cognate and some false friends to the mix. :-)

By all means do! :P

> Reminds me of the time I heard a Lebanese friend talk on the phone to
> one of *his* Lebanese friends, and afterwards he turned to me and
> said, "You're probably wondering why, even though I was speaking
> Arabic, I kept saying 'yes' in Finnish."
>
> I hadn't even noticed, but of course I did start wondering as soon as
> he mentioned it. ;-)
>
> Turns out there's a colloquial Arabic word _'aywa_ "yes" (أيوه, hope
> the Unicode gets through unharmed), which sounds almost like Finnish
> _aivan_ "exactly, indeed", which can also be used to mean simply
> "yes".

Funny, I learned about the existence of _'aywa_ *yesterday*! Before that I
only knew about _na`am_ :) .

> Well, at least there seems to be no colloquial Arabic word for "yes"
> that sounds like a Finnish word meaning "out of the question"...

LOL

> A friend of mine, whose mother belongs to the German-speaking minority
> in Prague (or used to belong; she emigrated to Germany in her early
> 20s), warned me about her dialect before introducing us. Apparently (I
> don't know any Czech at all, alas) the Czech word for "yes" is
> something like "ano" and this word seeped into the everyday language
> of some non-Czech speakers as well (or, more likely, into the *other*
> language of some bilingual speakers) and then got mangled a bit,
> giving us a German dialect where it's possible to say "yes" with a
> word that sounds a lot like "no". (If you want to pick nits: yes, OF
> COURSE the German word for "no" isn't _no_ but _nein_, which
> incidentally sounds like the English word for the number 9, but most
> Germans are aware of at least one foreign language (English, Italian,
> Spanish, what have you) where the opposite of "yes" actually is
> something resembling _no_. Incidentally, Russian _но_ [no] and
> Scottish Gaelic _neo_ [n_jO] (or something like that) sound a lot like
> "no" as well, but mean "but" and "or" respectively, if I remember
> correctly. And Finnish _ja_ "and" and Swedish _jag_ "I" sound a lot
> like the German word for "yes", as does the Russian word for "I", only
> they spell it _я_. Interestingly enough, this never bothered me
> (German native speaker) when learning these languages, until I moved
> to Finland and it just so happened that my next-door neighbor was
> Russian, so I had ample opportunity to speak (and confuse) both
> languages and *then* I started saying [ja] in Finnish when I meant "I"
> and in Russian when I meant "and". But I digress.)

My husband still has issues with the Greek _ναι_, which means "yes", and is
identical in pronunciation with Dutch _nee_, which means "no" :P . Since the
Greek love to pepper their speech with lots of _ναι_, and tend to be very
excited when they discuss together, my husband usually gets the impression
that they are constantly arguing, when they are actually having pretty
agreeable conversations! :)

And to go back to [ja], in Japanese it's a very colloquial way to say "no"
;) .

But then, with monosyllables you're just bound to get many false friends
among various languages :) .

    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 am ((PDT))

While we're at it, I might as well throw in the Russian phrase meaning "out the
window", в окно, pronounced /fak.'no/...

4a. Re: online etym dicts (was: Re: my new romlang (was: OT (mostly): my
    Posted by: "Eric Christopherson" ra...@charter.net
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 pm ((PDT))

On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:47 AM, Patrick Dunn wrote:

> A good et-dic of semitic languages would tempt to me to make a semitic
> conlang.  Just sayin'  If anyone has such a thing.  Ahem.

Not an etymological dictionary, but there is an archive of the AHD's list of
Proto-Semitic roots:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080407190000/www.bartleby.com/61/Sroots.html

4b. Re: online etym dicts (was: Re: my new romlang (was: OT (mostly): my
    Posted by: "Alex Fink" 000...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 pm ((PDT))

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 02:47:50 -0500, Patrick Dunn <pwd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>A good et-dic of semitic languages would tempt to me to make a semitic
>conlang.  Just sayin'  If anyone has such a thing.  Ahem.

Andras Rajki has a bare-bones one for Arabic:
  http://www.freeweb.hu/etymological/AEDweb.htm
And for Arabic there's probably scarcely anything better, per Language Hat,
  http://www.languagehat.com/archives/002554.php and linked earlier posts.

Also, since this is my collection thread, from up a directory
  http://www.freeweb.hu/etymological/
are also accessible Rajki's Esperanto, Finnish, Gagauz, Gothic, Mongol,
Morisyen, Swahili, and Waray etymological lexica of the same sort.

Alex

5a. Re: Finally Online!
    Posted by: "Roberto Suarez Soto" talkingxo...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:29 am ((PDT))

El d�a Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:47:39 -0400, kechpaja <kechp...@comcast.net>
escrib�a:

> I just set up a website at webs.com to display my conlanging work. As of
> the present moment, it only contains the phonology and lexicon of Va�t �
> K�vik, but I am still working on it and will be updating as often as
> possible. The url is:
> http://kechpaja.webs.com/

        Wow. You've got a hefty lexicon already. Though I've yet to read the
phonology part, because most words look hard to pronounce :-)

        Good job!

--
    Roberto Suarez Soto                   Pick up the phone,
                                             I'm always home