1a. Re: Norwegian word frequency chart
    From: Lars Finsen

2a. Re: Sino-Romance in the LLL?
    From: R A Brown

3a. Re: Conlang documentation
    From: Richard Littauer

4a. Re: Teresa Edgerton conlangs
    From: And Rosta

1a. Re: Norwegian word frequency chart
    Posted by: "Lars Finsen" lars.fin...@ortygia.no
    Date: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 am ((PDT))

taliesin the storyteller wrote:

> quoting Lee:
>> I see my mistake; I think I should have said "..., men jeg vil
>> gjerne å snakke norsk ..."
>
> You made another mistake. Is there anything in the grammars you have
> access to for when one should use "å"? There's no such thing as "split
> infinitives" in Norwegian. "å + infinitive" is used less often than
> + infinitive" in English.

In Norwegian, just as in English, the infinitive mark is not used
after modal auxiliaries, only when the verb is an object of another
full independent verb.

>> But I have to say, conlanging has definitely made it much
>> easier to pick up the language, compared to the disaster that was
>> college German quite a few years ago...
>
> Ah, but if any of that German remained in your brain at all, that
> should
> also make learning Norwegian easier :)
>
> <evil>Have you mastered the (default) pronunciation of y, u, o, æ,
> ø, å

My dear Taliesin, you are leading our friend into murky waters here.
Don't even mention final stops or the u/o length variations.

LEF

2a. Re: Sino-Romance in the LLL?
    Posted by: "R A Brown" r...@carolandray.plus.com
    Date: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 am ((PDT))

On 22/09/2010 10:10, Peter Bleackley wrote:
> staving R A Brown:
>
>> One of the main problems, as I see it, is that Roman
>> soldiers captured by Parthians and ending up as
>> mercenaries in western China will all be _men_. If
>> they want to produce progeny they will have take wives
>> or lovers from native population; in such situations
>> surely the mother's language is most likely to be the
>> L1 of the children. If Latin is to take root firmly it
>> seems to me that the Parthians would need to include a
>> goodly number of female camp followers (i.e.
>> prostitutes & mistresses - legionaries were not allow
>> to marry) together with the soldiers and for the whole
>> lot - men and woman - to end up together in that
>> garrison in western China.
>>
> Well, they weren't officially allowed to marry, but the
> Roman definition of marriage was quite flexible, and
> quite a lot had "contunerbales" (if I remember the word
> correctly). Literally it means "tent-mates", but it
> essentially means "unofficial wives".

True - that's what I meant by 'mistresses'. Also there were
inevitable prostitutes that set up by Roman garrison (I
believe the custom still continues with modern armies).

> Anyway, once captured by the Parthians and working as
> mercenaries in China, they probably wouldn't have been
> too bothered about that particular element of army
> regulations any more.

Indeed not - I assumed these woman would've been treated as
regular wives.

> We could postulate that their Chinese wives learned Latin
> out deference to their husbands

Even more unlikely, I think.  The Chinese are somewhat proud
of their history & their ancient language.  I really think
for Latin to have survived most of the mothers would have
had to have been regular Latin speakers.

> - alternatively, they could speak a Sino-Latin pidgin to
> each other, and the children could grow up speaking a
> creole,

That had occurred to me, but ....

> but I think that's a little way from what Jörg had in
> mind.

Not Jörg!  He'd rather not have Latin speakers in China at
all, methinks.  It's _Anthony Miles_ who wants them there -
and, yes, a creole is not what he has in mind (unless I've
misunderstood him).

--
Ray
==================================

3a. Re: Conlang documentation
    Posted by: "Richard Littauer" richard.litta...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:45 am ((PDT))

I would definitely suggest the LCS. Go to www.conlang.org - they have a
great free hosting service, which is permanent if you're a member.
Membership does cost $35, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

For instance, my website is on llama.conlang.org.

    Posted by: "And Rosta" and.ro...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:33 am ((PDT))

Am I, I wonder, the only one who feels a (literal) twinge of nausea at seeing
this conlang sample? It would be most unfair to take my reaction to be any kind
of just judgement of the conlang, but I find it interesting that a conlang can
excite such a visceral response. I suspect one ingredient of the revulsion is
simply the dreary familiarity of its soundscape, and another ingredient is
revulsion at anything that appears to travesty the ((IMO) rightly) sacred
Tolkien.

(No disrespect to Daniel intended, nor to the taste of others about whose
bustiguts there is no disputandem.)

--And.

Daniel Nielsen, On 22/09/2010 03:12: