1a. Re: OT : endos vs entos
    From: R A Brown

    From: Douglas Koller

    From: Gary Shannon
    From: Andreas Johansson
    From: Garth Wallace
    From: Douglas Koller
    From: Gary Shannon
    From: J. 'Mach' Wust
    From: Lars Finsen
    From: David Peterson
    From: Arthaey Angosii
    From: Gary Shannon
    From: Gary Shannon
    From: p...@phillipdriscoll.com
    From: J. 'Mach' Wust
    From: Jeff Sheets
    From: Alex Fink
3p. Re: XSAMPA question
    From: Patrick Dunn
3q. Re: XSAMPA question
    From: Lars Finsen
3r. Re: XSAMPA question
    From: Patrick Dunn
3s. Re: XSAMPA question
    From: Adam Walker

4a. for those who collect grammars: Chemehuevi
    From: Wm Annis
4b. Re: for those who collect grammars: Chemehuevi
    From: David Peterson

5a. Through the Language Glass - A Conlanger's Review
    From: Donald Boozer
5b. Re: Through the Language Glass - A Conlanger's Review
    From: Jim Henry

1a. Re: OT : endos vs entos
    Posted by: "R A Brown" r...@carolandray.plus.com
    Date: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am ((PDT))

On 20/10/2010 15:44, Philip Newton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:32, R A Brown<r...@carolandray.plus.com>  wrote:
>> ento-<-- Ýíôïò _entos_ (preposition) = within, inside
>
> åíôüò, oxytone, no?

OOPS!! Yes, of course.  It's a disyllabic preposition, so
oxytone - (but paroxytone if a poet used it as a
postposition    :)

-------------------------

On 20/10/2010 14:38, Tim Smith wrote:
 > On 10/20/2010 6:32 AM, R A Brown wrote:
[snip]

 >> Neither Greek word has an ellative or allative meaning;
 >> they just mean
 >> "inside" (inessive) - one being an adverb and the other a
 >> preposition.
 >>
 >> The reason why you haven't been able to come up with a
 >> difference in
 >> meaning between the two prefixes is simple: there ain't
 >> one :)
 >>

 > <delurk>
 >
 > Ray, I'm sure you're right about the point at issue. (I
 > don't know enough about Greek to be entitled to an opinion.)
 > But...
 >
 > <nitpick>
 >
 > I think both of you are misusing the terms "ellative" and
 > "allative". The former isn't even a real word, AFAIK (it
 > sounds to me like a conflation of "illative" and "elative"
 > (see below)),

Nope - just a plain ol' misspelling.  I intended to write
"elative".

[snip]

 > My understanding is that these terms, as they are used in
 > describing, e.g., Finnish, are members of a group of six
 > "local cases" (that is, cases whose core meanings have to do
 > with location). Within this group, there are two
 > cross-cutting distinctions: "static" (referring to a
 > stationary or ongoing location) vs. "dynamic" (referring to
 > motion, either to or from a location), and "interior"
 > (referring to location within some sort of enclosed or
 > bounded space) vs. "exterior" (referring to location at
 > either a dimensionless point or a general "place" without
 > specific boundaries). The whole group is:

Quite correct.

I should more correctly have written:   Neither Greek word
has an elative or illative meaning; they just mean "inside"
(inessive) - one being an adverb and the other a preposition.

 > It sounds to me as if the terms you really want are
 > "elative" and "illative".

Yes - thanks for pointing it out. It's best to get the terms
right otherwise people can get confused.

--
Ray
==================================

--