1a. Re: Special Color/Semantic Domain relationships -- was: Re: On Cultu
    From: Padraic Brown

    From: Padraic Brown
    From: Nikolay Ivankov
    From: Patrick Dunn

    From: Lee

    From: Lee
    From: David Peterson

    From: Lee
    From: Nathan Unanymous
    From: J. Burke
    From: Nikolay Ivankov
    From: Nikolay Ivankov

    From: MorphemeAddict
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets

    From: deinx nxtxr
    From: Rebecca Bettencourt
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: deinx nxtxr
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: deinx nxtxr
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
7h. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: deinx nxtxr
7i. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: deinx nxtxr
7j. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
7k. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: Rebecca Bettencourt

1a. Re: Special Color/Semantic Domain relationships -- was: Re: On Cultu
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 5:16 am ((PDT))

--- On Thu, 4/28/11, Adam Walker <carra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Heralrdy is another field replete with weird color term not
> used outside the field.

Numismatics also has its peculiarities of color terms, though perhaps
not quite so weird as heraldry. "Red" is the deep copper color of a brand
new bronze or copper coin; "white" can describe the color of new silver or
nickel based coins; "rainbow" is the phenomenon of chemical toning that
affects coins stored in cloth bags for a long period of time.

Jewelers also have their own color schemes, not only for metals but also
for gems: red gold, white gold, etc; chocolate diamonds, etc.

Padraic

2a. Re: Reading and Writing
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 6:01 am ((PDT))

--- On Fri, 4/29/11, Nikolay Ivankov <lukevil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been wondering lately about the etymology of the
> verbs "to read" and "to
> write" in different languages. Unlike the verbs like "to
> eat" or "to speak" these
> verbs should be relatively "new" ones, since they describe
> a very "artificial" kind of
> action. Therefore they should originate from some other
> verbs that already used
> to be in the language, and th etymology should mostly be
> quite clear.
>
> As far as I know, the words for "read" in IE languages are
> mostly related to the
> verbs with meaning "to take" (Romance), "to advice"
> (English), "to honor" (Slavic),
> while "to write" mostly used to mean "to decorate".
>
> What do the words for reading and writing originate from in
> your conlangs. Maybe
> there are other interesting and inobvious examples in other
> natlangs.

In Talarian, "to write" as a general term is sahem, to make. I suppose as
in "to make a written thing". Scribes speak of writing in terms of
painting and carving, probably because their writing system consists of
a combination of a "painted" flowing syllabary and a "carved" cuneiform
logogramary (?). Probably 90 to 95% of Telerani are nonliterate, which I
think gives rise to the disparity of terms.

I haven't found the word(s) for "read" as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised
if, like English, it were related to the word for "explain" or "interpret"
(read / riddle).

As for Lucarian, "read" and "write" are orcare, to call out or read aloud
and ziccuccere, to engrave. Apparently, there is no word for "read
silently".

Padraic

2b. Re: Reading and Writing
    Posted by: "Nikolay Ivankov" lukevil...@gmail.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 6:58 am ((PDT))

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Padraic Brown <elemti...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 4/29/11, Nikolay Ivankov <lukevil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> As for Lucarian, "read" and "write" are orcare, to call out or read aloud
> and ziccuccere, to engrave. Apparently, there is no word for "read

silently".

As far as I know, people started reading silently only in late antiquity,
and this became possible because there were invented the books as we know
them, that is, with pages. They were (and are) much easier to handle then
the scrolls, and therefore the way of reading has also changed: before that
it was habitual for people to actually _listen_ to a scroll read by a
servant rather then reading them by themselves. (I've read about that in:
Helmut Schneider, "Geschichte der Antike Technik" (The History of Technics
in Antiquity)).

Sorry for offtopic.

> Padraic

Kolya

2c. Re: Reading and Writing
    Posted by: "Patrick Dunn" pwd...@gmail.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 3:04 pm ((PDT))

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Padraic Brown <elemti...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> -
>
> In Talarian, "to write" as a general term is sahem, to make. I suppose as
> in "to make a written thing". Scribes speak of writing in terms of
> painting and carving, probably because their writing system consists of
> a combination of a "painted" flowing syllabary and a "carved" cuneiform
> logogramary (?). Probably 90 to 95% of Telerani are nonliterate, which I
> think gives rise to the disparity of terms.
>
> I haven't found the word(s) for "read" as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised
> if, like English, it were related to the word for "explain" or "interpret"
> (read / riddle).

Very cool.  Oasa has a very similar system; I swear I didn't steal it from
you.  My carved logograms resemble Mayan writing a bit more than cuneiform
though.

Oasa has a higher literacy rate, but they're also technologically modern.

--
I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to
window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.  --Arthur Rimbaud

3. WALS export
    Posted by: "Lee" waywardwre...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 7:22 am ((PDT))

Is there a CALS-like export of WALS data available?

I would have asked the appropriate individual(s) on WALS, but alas, there is no
apparent way to contact site admin. (Perhaps if I registered, but I am saving
that for when there is less dust swirling around my lang.)

Thanks,
Lee

4a. CALS export (was WALS export)
    Posted by: "Lee" waywardwre...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 7:29 am ((PDT))

I guess I'm tired this morning...

I'm actually looking for a WALS-like export of CALS data.

Is there a CALS-like export of WALS data available?

I would have asked the appropriate individual(s) on WALS, but alas, there is no
apparent way to contact site admin. (Perhaps if I registered, but I am saving
that for when there is less dust swirling around my lang.)

Thanks,
Lee

4b. Re: CALS export (was WALS export)
    Posted by: "David Peterson" deda...@gmail.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 12:00 pm ((PDT))

The contact person is Kaleissin. He's a member of the Conlang list and the
relay list, if you're on that one.

David Peterson
LCS President
l...@conlang.org
www.conlang.org

On May 1, 2011, at 7◊25 AM, Lee wrote:

> I guess I'm tired this morning...
>
> I'm actually looking for a WALS-like export of CALS data.

5a. Re: LangFam-Making Program
    Posted by: "Lee" waywardwre...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 9:02 am ((PDT))

You may find what you are looking for by searching
Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo/Whatever for "sound change applier"

Lee