1a. Re: Reading and Writing
    From: Padraic Brown
1b. Re: Reading and Writing
    From: Roger Mills

2a. Re: LangFam-Making Program
    From: Arthaey Angosii
2b. Re: LangFam-Making Program
    From: Aidan Grey

3a. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: Arthaey Angosii
3b. Re: Deini font in Ubuntu?
    From: Rebecca Bettencourt

4a. Re: An irregular verb system
    From: Roger Mills
4b. Re: An irregular verb system
    From: Nikolay Ivankov

5a. Re: CALS export (was WALS export)
    From: taliesin the storyteller

1a. Re: Reading and Writing
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 4:59 pm ((PDT))

From: Nikolay Ivankov lukevil...@gmail.com

>> As for Lucarian, "read" and "write" are orcare, to call  out or read aloud
>> and ziccuccere, to engrave. Apparently, there is no word for "read silently".
>
> As far as I know, people started reading silently only in late antiquity,

I recall reading that in ancient times, folks (at least Romans and possibly
Greeks -- but I don't know about others, like Sumerians, Chinese, Indians,
etc.) read aloud, but I didn't know an end date for the practice. I would
suspect that modern Loucarian speakers don't actually read aloud (except,
perhaps, for those not-so-literate who have to sound out by letters and
syllables, carefully crafting each word as delicately as any megalithic mason);
in general they probably read silently, but have kept a very old meaning of the
word.

Now, the Telerani have to read aloud, because as I said perhaps 90 to 95% of
the people are non-literate. This means that when they need to write a letter
or some other document, they hire a marketplace scribe to write for them. When
they need to have a document or letter read to them, they hire a scribe who
reads it back. Traditionally, the scribes are only paid when they write --
reading something, especially a legal document, is a free service.

> and this became possible because there were invented the books as we know
> them, that is, with pages.

I think books as we know them -- codices -- date back to early Christian times,
as all (or certainly most of) the ancient mathoms of scriptures have been in
codex/book form (Nag Hamadi, etc). While I agree that they're more convenient
than scrolls, would this convenience necessarily lead to silent reading? Why
would they not just continue reading the codices aloud?

> They were (and are) much easier to handle then
> the scrolls, and therefore the way of reading has also changed: before that
> it was habitual for people to actually _listen_ to a scroll read by a
> servant rather then reading them by themselves. (I've read about that in:
> Helmut Schneider, "Geschichte der Antike Technik" (The History of
> Technics in Antiquity)).

Okay -- that's very interesting indeed! I had thought that silent reading came
along with monks quietly studying. I can certainly appreciate how having a
slave read to one would be a practice that would die out as the Empire faded
away into medievaldom, though.

> Sorry for offtopic.

Not at all offtopic! Any bit of curious cultural trivia like this can help us
who also create cultures along with out languages to expand what we know about
them.

> Kolya

Padraic

1b. Re: Reading and Writing
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 8:08 pm ((PDT))

It turns out that the Kash word for 'write' _uri_ is borrowed from very old Gwr
(Proto Bau Da Gwr *uris (modern BDG lwih), but what it might have meant there
originally I haven't determined yet. (Actually I cheated-- created the Gwr form
long after the Kash one :-((( but still, it would figure.

Kash "read" _nolit_ must also be an old borrowing from Gwr, but the same
comment as above applies.

I haven't checked Prevli, but since they don't read/write their own language, I
imagine they've borrowed from Kash (within the last 2000 years)

BTW in Malay/Indonesian, "surat" is 'write' and appears to have spread all over
the area, even to the Philippines. (Could it possibly be < Arabaic?) A hint of
an earlier meaning-- in one language I know of the reflex means 'to remember'.

'To read', where it appears, is a Sanskrit borrowing < vacya IIRC which means
'cause to speak' IIRC.

Ml/Indo also use 'tulis' for 'write', but it hasn't spread; nor is the original
meaning evident.

2a. Re: LangFam-Making Program
    Posted by: "Arthaey Angosii" arth...@gmail.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 5:17 pm ((PDT))

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM, J. Burke <rtoen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I asked for this, like, years ago; no one was interested at the time.  But it
> is a worthy project.

I've added this to the list of planned features of the conlang
documentation project I'm writing. Having a grammar document whose
example words & sentences stay up-to-date would definitely be awesome.

However, I can't promise any specific timeframe for when that feature
will be written. I work on the project when I feel like it and have
the free time, so it could be next week or next year.

--
AA

http://conlang.arthaey.com

2b. Re: LangFam-Making Program
    Posted by: "Aidan Grey" taalenma...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 1, 2011 9:01 pm ((PDT))

Actually, IPA-Zounds can do this. It's possible to specify families to which a
rule applies. You'd still have to run the vocab list through as many times as
there are langs in the family, but you won't have to fiddle lots and lots, as
you can include all the laws for all langs in the family at once.