Title: Message
When it comes to slavery and racial attitudes in any era it's probably better to "watch what I do" rather than to "listen to what I say."

In "God's and Generals" a Civil War movie based on the book by Shaara, the Southern general Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, Robert E. Lee's right arm, at least until he lost his left arm and then got sick and died, sincerely assures his black cook, who volunteered, and is likely a slave, that after the Southern victory the negroes will all be set free, somehow.  Then they pray.

Jackson, then, and by extension the South, is shown to be really good at heart, for which we can all feel warm.  Their slave-based Southern way of life is really good down deep, save only for the peculiar institution that God has somehow, in a moment's lapse, perhaps, thrust upon their poor unwilling selves.  Perhaps He will correct this, if we pray, which Jackson and his slave earnestly do.

Having lost the war, physically at least, and its slaves, the South, in real life, according to Michael Graham in Redneck Nation, How the South Really Won the War (Warner Books, 2002) won the peace.  While the Radical Republicans (who imposed Reconstruction on the South after the War, and the 13th, 14th, & 15th Amendments) sought to win the peace, i.e. consolidate their gains, their success was limited, certainly in the short term, like the next 3/4 century, as evidenced by the Slaughterhouse and Civil Rights Cases, and Plessy in 1896 which legalized Jim Crow until 1954.

Graham writes that "the American South is dominated by irrational attitudes about race, religion, and culture.  My challenge is:  Tell me what part of America isn't."

"This smugness, this condescension, this false sense of superiority that you Northerners feel toward me and my fellow Southerners is the reason I wrote this book....It took me twenty years to find out you were lying."

"...but when it comes to the truth, most Southerners are like the jury in the O.J. Simpson trial.  We will not be influenced by mere facts."

"I challenge you to name one significant idea the southern states fought to maintain in the Civil Rights Movement that has not become part of the American fabric.

The most obvious example is the most fundamental:  racism.  What is the core philosophy of all social life in the South?  It's the idea that race matters, that race is determinant, that race is important, that your neighbors, your employers, and your government should treat people differently based on race.

This used to be called Jim Crow.  Today its name is Uncle Sam.  It's hard to imagine a nation more obsessed with race and ethnicity than our own...

Sorting children in public schools based on their race was once viewed as the archetypal southern idea.

Today it's the American one....

The southern idea of race relations -- that "race matters" -- has clearly defeated the northern notion that it shouldn't.  When Jesse Jackson, Kweisi Mfune, David Duke, Pat Buchanan, and the president of Harvard College all agree on something, we have clearly reached a national consensus.

So, let's roll down the list.  Merit?  Anyone for the old northern notion of meritocracy?...

...Merit?...

...Accomplishment?...

...America is today a more southern nation than it has been at any time since the Civil War..."  Excerpts from Ch. 2.

I could go on, but it's Graham's book and he shows the contradictions between what we say and what we do in about as humorous a way as anyone since Mark Twain.

Bob Sheridan
SFLS