Dear all,

Just FYI -- one of the cases in which the Court granted review today, Sabri
v. United States, presents (along with a question of statutory
interpretation) what I think is an interesting cluster of questions
involving the Spending Power and the Sweeping Clause, in the context of a
federal bribery statute.  (Disclosure:  I co-authored an amicus brief in
the case, for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers).

In a nutshell -- Section 666 of Title 18 federalizes bribes involving
agents of organizations that receive, administer, etc., federal-program
funds.  The statutory-interpretation question involves the nexus, if any,
required between the bribe and the funds.  In addition, though, there's the
question whether the Spending Power -- either via conditional-spending
doctrine, or the necessary-and-proper route -- authorizes such a
statute.  (For more on this question, see Professor George Brown's recent
work).

Best,

Rick Garnett
Notre Dame Law School