Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: NYTimes.com Article: The Vote Must Go On

I agree with Ackerman's conclusion, although I also agree that the first amendment rationale seems a bit strained here.  In fact, this seems a good example of how we should not turn to rights analysis in the first instance in understanding what's wrong with interfering with a democratic electoral process.  Structural analysis is called for and so Ackerman's sequencing objections (court acts before the election happens) are more telling that his rights objections.  And if anyone's rights are at issue, it is the rights of the California electorate generally, not just the candidates.

More generally, rights analysis bypasses an assessment of what's really going on from a political perspective.  It lacks legal realism (so to speak).  The court's intervention is seen as changing an accepted fair playing field.  It undermines the legitimacy of the process from at least one political perspective (the right).  Since one important purpose of any democratic constitutional scheme is to guarantee that legitimacy, the court should have known better.  Constitutional common sense, you might say.

Stephen M. Griffin
Vice Dean of Academic Affairs
Rutledge C. Clement, Jr. Professor in Constitutional Law
Tulane Law School
6329 Freret Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
(504) 865-5933 (voice)