It has long been common knowledge among modern U.S. historians that the
American memory and understanding of the Civil War and Reconstruction was
basically taken over and distorted for many years by Southern and
white-supremacist sympathizers.  See, eg, David Blight's recent books on
Race, Memory, and the Civil War.  In historiography, the so-called "Dunning
School" named for William Dunning held sway for many years, maintaining that
Republican Reconstruction was a vindictive victimization of the South, which
had to be "redeemed" from "Negro/carpetbag rule."  Even a liberal
Massachusetts politician and eventual civil rights champion like John F.
Kennedy (and the Northern elite scholars who ghost-wrote for him) was
totally in the sway of this school as late as the 1950s, as is revealed by
re-examining the Reconstruction-related chapters of "Profiles in Courage."
We remember Woodrow Wilson as a reformist liberal, and yet he was a white
supremacist who purged blacks from the federal civil service and showed
"Birth of a Nation" at the White House (and then publicly praised and
endorsed its version of Reconstruction).

It is rather remarkable that -- despite the avalanche of superb
historiography (the second "revisionist" wave, the Dunning school being the
first "revisionist" wave) demolishing the Dunning School, starting in the
1930s, from scholars such as WEB DuBois, C. Vann Woodward, John Hope
Franklin, John and LaWanda Cox, Hans Trefousse, David Donald, Eric Foner,
Michael Les Benedict, Kenneth Stampp, Richard Current, and many others I am
missing -- the pro-Southern view of the Civil War and Reconstruction, and
veneration of Confederate icons and symbols from Robert E. Lee to the
battleflag, remain so strong in the popular American culture and mind.  This
was recently reflected, for example, in the film "Gods and Generals."  Too
many people venerate blatantly racist Southern leaders while true
progressive heroes like Charles Sumner and Thaddeus Stevens are viewed as
slightly demented extremists -- if they are not forgotten altogether (which
has been Bingham's sad fate).

Just to ward off any admonitions from our listmaster Eugene, this has
extremely important relevance to understanding constitutional law, which
cannot be divorced from the shifting tides of historical memory and
understanding.  This has become ever more strongly impressed on me as I work
on my book-length study of the history of the idea of incorporating the Bill
of Rights in the 14th amendment from the 1860s to the present (forthcoming
next year from NYU Press).

For example, Michael Kent Curtis (in an earlier article in Akron Law Review)
noted the astonishing but mostly overlooked fact that the Supreme Court in
1964 could uphold a 1st & 14th amendment free speech claim against Southern
repression, in a heavily race-loaded context (NYT v Sullivan) without even
mentioning the legacy of antebellum repression of anti-slavery speech and
the overwhelming Republican desire in the 1860s and 70s to secure free
speech rights via the 14th amendment against racially oppressive
restrictions.  See also Michael's book, "Free Speech, the People's Darling
Privilege."  The Court, along with almost the entire intelligentsia of the
Nation (even Northern liberals!), was still laboring under the massive
historical amnesia inflicted by the Dunning School.  It literally amounted
to the brainwashing of an entire nation (both the intellectual elite, North
and South, and the populace at large) for many decades -- and the effects
still linger in troubling ways.  It is quite frightening to contemplate how
even a liberty-loving nation like America could so thoroughly distort and
lose its own history for such a long time.

Michael Kent Curtis's latest article that has been referred to (36 Akron LR
617) does an excellent job of surveying much of this.

As Holmes said, "a page of history is worth a volume of logic."

Bryan Wildenthal
Thomas Jefferson School of Law