I wonder if others are concerned, as I am, about the government serving as
the agent of individuals' preferences and prejudices about speech they like
and dislike.  This concern, it seems, would apply to the current version of
the do not call registry, and more importantly it would apply to an
alternative version that might give the individual a menu of choices from
which to choose.  I'm troubled by both versions.

       I understand that the government does serve as the agent of individual
rights and interests -- e.g. the right to property (trespass), to quietude
(noise ordinances, et al), to be free of discrimination -- and that some
conventional first amendment analysis may suggest that there are no
problems with the government serving such a role as long as it does not
discriminate and acts out of non-speech-related interests.  But it is
nevertheless a troubling posture for government to be in, especially if
government's purpose would be to facilitate people's "right" not to hear, a
right with uncertain roots in the first amendment theory.  It is a posture
that seems inconsistent with the idea that the first amendment protects a
field of robust, wide open, and uninhibited speech.  If I want to impose my
own epistemological filter, that's fine, perhaps, but should government
help me to do so?

Randy Bezanson
Univ. of Iowa