On Sun, Jun 09, 2024 at 05:13:18PM +0000, Stavros Konstantaras wrote:
>   *   The IRRdv4 workaround is not a good one. Initially, not everyone
>   can afford having an IRRDv4 instance in its infrastructure to use
>   its features or can fit with the operational model .

I do not follow the above argumentation. Every run of bgpq3/bgpq4/peval
get their data from IRRD v4 instances. The software already has been
written, now we just need to start making use of it! :)

> In AMS-IX infrastructure we do use IRRdv4 to mirror other IRR DBs and
> I have bumped into the "route object preference" feature.  But we
> incorporated it into our operations last year. Moreover, as Sasha
> mentions in the document: “IRRd will act as if the object was deleted,
> but it may become visible again later.” due to creations/deletions.

OK. How does it make this 'workaround' 'not a good one'? Outright
deleting databases seems to be a workaround to me.

> I consider the following approach a more feasible one for most of the
> users: “bgpq4 -4 -A -b -h my-whois.domain.net -S
> RIPE,LACNIC,APNIC,ARIN,AFRINIC,RADB AS-FOOBAR”

I think your perspective is clear, but multiple people have pointed out
concerns that the other databases also contain useful information; thus
logically, by using a priority preference model you get the best of both
worlds?

> But RADB will always prioritize their objects with SOURCE RADB over
> the official ones (which makes sense as they make money)

Do you know that for sure?

Kind regards,

Job