+1 for Next ManifoldCF release.

>  will he instead be making modifications to the
> existing Solr connector?

I will. This is modifications.
The design is that it replaces httpposter to solrindexer(EmbeddedSolrServer) in
solr connector.
It will provide a switch on solr connection. httppost or createindexdata.
And it will put solr conf and solr data on MCF side.
The purpose of this is that it prevents configuration files from being changed
while posting.
And it can keep the consistency between conf and data.
Though I want to write as soon as possible, I just have started to write.

Regards,
Shinichiro Abe