On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 00:01 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Kalle,

Hi Marcel,

thanks for the quick reply.

> > I need an interface to add, edit and remove stored services, not just
> > the ones which are currently available. I haven't found a way to do that
> > with connman.
> >
> > Any ideas what's the best way to implement this?
> >
> > I need it for a GUI I'm working on:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkSettings
>
> this looks all like Network Manager and I have to say that I disagree
> with that UI. Trying to artificially differentiate between Ethernet,
> WiFi, 3G etc. is pretty much bad. It makes no sense and in the end the
> user doesn't really care either.

I see your point and I have to say that I agree with you. But on the
other hand our users have used to how Network Manager works and giving
them something drastically new might be difficult at first. But thank
you for the comments, I'll pass it up to our designer.

> So right now ConnMan only gives you the current list of available
> services. We believe that overloading the UI with information about
> other services that are currently not available is not needed. It is in
> this regard similar to what the iPhone does for WiFi. In general you
> will only care about services that are usable. If they are not usable
> why bother presenting them to the user at all.

As a user, I want to have access to all network settings stored on the
device. Otherwise I don't know what is exactly stored on the device. For
example, think of secret credentials accidentally leaking. I want to be
in control of my device, not the other way around.

I also assume that normal users would not edit, or remove, their
connections that much, if any. But I'm sure power users will demand to
have something like this.

> Anyhow, we have been discussing this a while back. And in theory we
> could export a FavoriteServices list similar to our Services list, but
> that would also contain known services that are not in range.

That would sound good to me. Now my next question is, would you accept a
patch implementing this?

Kalle