BATMAN is interesting because it operates at Layer 2 rather than Layer 3,
unlike most IP-based mesh networking schemes. There is some explanation
here, including the rationale for its implementation as a kernel module the
batctl CLI:

http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Doc-overview

I suspect that negotiating the gateway will be the major point of
contention between connman and batman— the proper behaviour is probably
"use a local (connman) gateway if available; fall back on a gateway in the
mesh", similar to how mobile data works. I suppose you'd express that as a
batman-specific Technology which manages the relationship between bat0 and
the other interfaces?

Mike