Here's what I did (this is a once off thing, though we really need to make sure changes are backwards compatible and can handle missing metadata in the future...)

- run data-management from 1.1-beta-1 to export the build database (I had to build this from source) - edit the exported builds.xml to add <installationId>1</ installationId> to each installation (using sequential numbers) - change name="..." to installationId="..." in each profile by replacing the name with the corresponding installation ID - comment out the environmentVariables profile since it would cause a duplicate PK (maybe a bug in the data management)
- import the database again using data management from 1.1-beta-2.

In case anyone needs it :)

Cheers,
Brett