Are you thinking what I am thinking - an OSGi based runtime underneath and plugins/extensions that could be loaded runtime?
:-)

Carlos Sanchez wrote:
Some comments

Database vs xml: definitely database. Throwing away the db access api
(JDO/JPA/...) now that it's already there doesnt make much sense.
Maybe there are implementations that use xml for storage and that's
where you'd need to look if you want file storage

Spring vs Guice vs Plexus: Spring for sure. Big community, lots of
users, documentation, support,... Specially if you want to add JMX
support (can be done really easily just with annotations using
reflection), and thinking in OSGi in the future I'm sure it will be
really easy to integrate Spring and OSGi if it is not already. I'd
start softly, just migrating thing that would require adding features
to plexus, and move from there.

I agree with Brett on having 1.2, 1.3,... it's good to have a list of
what you want to do for 2.0 but as it gets done it should be released
in minor versions.