From: Woody Lane via Contra Callers <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 8, 2021 8:49 PM
To: contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Subject: [Callers] Re: Question on Gig Requests

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for such insightful comments. The discussion touched
a lot of bases, often from different perspectives. But these comments have been
very helpful to me, and hopefully to everyone. Thanks for spending the time
constructing responses.

I'll add one more thing -- something I've been considering (since I spend a lot
of time with numbers. I've also written this for the Trad Callers listserv so
some here may have seen it.) --

The vaccines are 90%-95% effective, with those numbers derived from Phase III
Trials each with fewer than 30,000 adults per treatment. Even if that observed
efficacy accurately described the population, it would mean that 5%-10% of
those fully vaccinated folks would still be vulnerable to the virus. Consider
an indoor dance with 100 dancers who were all vaccinated -- assuming that the
organizers found a way of enforcing a vaccinated-only entry requirement. Those
numbers would suggest that the room would still contain 5-10 dancers who were
not protected. Now include the existence today of covid variants that are much
more aggressively infectious than the original virus, and more virulent. In a
room where the primary activity specializes in people holding each other close
and breathing into each other's faces. In addition, we really don't know if
vaccinated people can carry the virus and possibly transmit it. Now add to the
room a few people who came in because it's a public event but who are not
vaccinated. Sure, masks would help, and so would good air turnover in the room.
But still . .

I really like Ken's suggested approach of "chilling out" -- as in what's the
rush in the face of a deadly, highly contagious respiratory disease that has
political overtones.

Woody