On community dances: When ceilidh caller Hugh Ripon visited the Bay Area in the
early 2000s, I learned (and he left me a copy of) his piece of paper with his
entire repertoire on it.  It was the names of about 50 dances, all of which he
had completely memorized, but he had the piece of paper so when he was thinking
of what would be good to do do next he wouldn't forget that he knew some of
these dances.

When I, fairly rarely, call community dances there's never an advance program
and I only call stuff I know cold - I often have to dance in, I can't be
looking at pieces of paper, nobody cares if I called the same thing last week,
the band doesn't need to learn a tune.

Usually when I call English I've carefully organized a program with a pleasing
progression of dances whose tunes will be in a nice variety of meters and keys
and take advantage of what I know about the strengths of the particular band,
and shared that with the band long in advance, who have sometimes organized
their music in order by the program.  There I really need a copy of my planned
program to be sure I get the order right whether or not I have the figures
memorized - I've got notes for around 1000 English dances and I probably only
have 100+150 memorized and I can't even always remember the ones I wrote.

For contra with regular contra dancers where I can have some idea of what the
floor's going to be like and what the band is going to be like, I'll put
together a program in advance because when I just go with a dance I remember
that seems like it'll fit I end up using the same 20 dances all the time, and
calling mostly locally there's perceived value in changing it up.  I have fully
typed out notes for each dance but I've also got a cryptic abbreviation that
shows figures and where they show in phrases, compactly enough to fit on a
single line, so the first page of the program has enough to work from unless
there's something extra wacky about the dance.  I strive to get my eyes away
from the program as soon as ever I can.

-- Alan