In my observation barn burners (BB) often contain more inertial/physical
and (perceived or real) temporal tension, building to an objective. As
previously pointed out, music lift or drive is important in building
energy and releasing the magic. BBs require the group to execute moves well
together without significant downtime/squish and can often limit flourish
opportunities. Classic examples of this type being the along-the-sides
travel away and back toward the NBR Balance in Salute to Larry Jennings, or
the zig-zag exchanges in Beneficial Tradition, etc.

Thanks all for the other referenced dances.

FWIW, I've been tinkering with some recent compositions along these lines -
one example:

*Off to a Bumpy Start - Duple Improper - Don Veino 20230131 (untested)*
Starts in Wave/4 across, RH to NBR, Robins by LH in center

*A1* NBR1 RH Wave/4 Balance, Walk Forward (4,4) on slight RT diag to;
NBR2 LH Wave/4 (Larks RH in center) Balance, Walk Forward (4,4) on slight
LT diag to

*A2* NBR3 ALM RT 1x (4), NBR2 LH Pull By along (2), NBR1 Swing (10)
[ALT: (Note *NO* Bal) NBR3 Box the Gnat (4), NBR3 RH Pull By along (2),
NBR2 LH Pull By along (2), NBR1 Swing (8)]

*B1* Give & Take to the Larks [ALT = Cir LT 3/4x], PNR Swing

*B2* Robins RH Chain (to NBR); Star LT to next wave/4

Note the A2 ALT could increase the tension and perceived energy but may be
too tight for some crowds. The B1 ALT could bring driving vs. tension
energy but... circle left. 😉

My Caller's Box search-fu suggests this is a new sequence but let me know
otherwise?

-Don